LegacyGT.com

thermostat replacement trouble, need help asap

Replaced thermostat with a genuine subaru one and now i have no heat and neither radiator hose is hot and has a brand new waterpump also. The radiator is very slow to fill also. I have no idea what the problem is and I need help asap because i need my car for work

you have an air lock, you need to fill and burp the system correctly.

slowly fill the system with the vent plug removed. install the vent plug,start the and run the car with the radiator cap off. once it has reached full operating temp, top off coolant and put on cap.

did the car overheat??

• 10 months later...
The vent plug is a small plastic bolt type things that screws into the top of the passenger side of the radiator. It's square in shape and has slots for a phillips screw driver. You remove it to allow air to escape the radiator as you fill it with coolant. It makes the whole process easier and quicker.

the last 2 times i have filled an empty cooling system on an ej25 engine, i have used a very unusual method and have had NO problems and have not had to burp.

i put the gallon of coolant on top of the engine, either the passenger strut tower or the air box near the firewall. i then use a small diameter tube (~5/16 inch, inside diameter) to siphon the coolant out of the jug and into the rad. (it helps if the tube is clear so you can see the coolant as it gets close to your mouth.) after the jug is empty, i then start over with a half jug (2 qts.).

this is a very slow process because of the size of the hose, but more so due to the very small difference in height. the system fills very slowly and has time to back fill the engine thru the top rad hose. i make sure the rad cap is at least level with or usually higher than the rest of the rad. having the vent cap open helps too.

the first time i did it i tried to burp it but i ended up wit h less coolant in the system than when the siphon had finished. so this last time i just let the siphon do its thing and then put the cap on. no problems.

it works great, but it is really, really, slow. so i do it while i'm finishing up the last little bits of whatever i'm working on.

this is so slow that if you did it and then watched it you would give up and start pouring long before it got done. but it is a great time to open a beer and admire your work.

i doubt this is a good technique for a car that needs to be burped, but it works great for filling empty systems.

hth

Archived