LegacyGT.com

Test driving a 06 Manual Gt tomorrow

Hi Im new here (I know I shouldn't post here, but sorta need a fast response ( :D ),

I am looking into buying my second car, and I have been looking for a lgt in manual since I was 15 , but I finally found my luck.

I was very close to buying a 06 speed6 a couple weeks ago in super good condition (with all service records) but I am still waiting on the owner to call me back and see if he will change his mind on my offer. What are your thoughts on a speed6 (oddly insurance is around 140 bucks 6/mo off from a lgt)?

Link to car:

http://www.kendallautoalaska.com/inv...ceEnd=&MPGLow=

My main questions are:

When looking at it tomorrow what should I mainly look for? (I have heard clutches usually go out at 60k (I know it depends on how you drive it) and is it just me or this price is a little steep?

Don't get the Mazda. A coworker hates his and uses it for a winter car so he doesn't destroy his STI with salt. He's going to a dealer to see if he can trade it in today towards an 02 Legacy because AWD is that good.

After having my 06 LGT for a little over 3 months, I can say I'll never go back to FWD.

Edit: Coworker has a regular 6, not a speed6.

I actually looked at a speed 6 when they first came out and I thought it drove great, shifted like butter. Not to sure how they are in the snow Or how reliable they are. I do know there is a lack of aftermarket support since they were only produced for two years but most engine mods are the same as the speed 3.

Back on topic to OP:

Try to give the car a cold start and check for any abnormal noises, smoke, ect.

Make sure to look underneath the best you can for any leaks, especially look at the axle boots to make sure there are no tears (very common).

If you have another person with you give the car a couple revs and check for smoke out of the exhaust to make sure it is not burning oil.

Obviously make sure the car does not grind any gears and that the clutch grabs nice and low.

Give the car some throttle and check in your reaar view mirror for any white smoke to make sure the turbo is in good shape.

If all checks out, take the car to a Subaru dealer or a mechanic you trust, have it looked over and do a compression and leakdown test.

• Moderators
I actually looked at a speed 6 when they first came out and I thought it drove great, shifted like butter. Not to sure how they are in the snow Or how reliable they are. I do know there is a lack of aftermarket support since they were only produced for two years but most engine mods are the same as the speed 3.

Back on topic to OP:

Make sure to look underneath the best you can for any leaks, especially look at the axle boots to make sure there are no tears (very common).

If you have another person with you give the car a couple revs and check for smoke out of the exhaust to make sure it is not burning oil.

Obviously make sure the car does not grind any gears and that the clutch grabs nice and low.

Give the car some throttle and check in your reaar view mirror for any white smoke to make sure the turbo is in good shape.

If all checks out, take the car to a Subaru dealer or a mechanic you trust, have it looked over and do a compression and leakdown test.

This is all great advice!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Back on topic to OP:

Thanks so much!

Really? Hmm... ignore my comment then. :lol:

Yes, please ignore. That's how myths about cars form on the internet - "a neighbor had a friend and this frined had a daughter and daughter's boyfriend saw a speed6 at home depot parking lot and thought it was shit.......oh wait it wasn't speed 6 it was honda accord, sorry"

I own both lgt and mazda 6 and was in the market for speed 6 before purchased spec b. Have seen it in action on the track too. Very competent car with great awd. Reliability is similar. Know at least 3 people that drive it daily without major issues. Stock for stock it compares to spec b in terms of tranny and interior, mazdaspeed 6 being faster straight out of the lot. If you plan to keep it stock, you can get speed6 cheaper than LGT. If you plan on tunnning I would go with LGT. Easier, cheaper to get power, a lot of parts and great support on this forum.

A must listen for, rear wheel bearing whine and or turbo noise.

Turbo if stock and still has life should be in boost by ~ 3500rpm

Check to see if there are new studs or bolt and if it still oem turbo heat shield around the turbo area, might of been modded and returned back to stock

and then your normal used car checks/listen etc

A must listen for, rear wheel bearing whine and or turbo noise.

Turbo if stock and still has life should be in boost by ~ 3500rpm

Check to see if there are new studs or bolt and if it still oem turbo heat shield around the turbo area, might of been modded and returned back to stock

and then your normal used car checks/listen etc

Great advice thanks! I've heard of people doing that before. I'll have to check in the engine bay, but the turbo sure did punch me back in my seat at around 3000 rpm :cool::spin:

I'm not sure on the price since it's in Alaska, but I got my 05 with around 68k miles in October for $11900 from a Subaru dealer in MD.

Yea it is pretty steep but the dealership offered to lower it (which I haven't started).

Archived