LegacyGT.com

stock projectors: cutoff shield filling

Impulse

so this winter darkness has me noticing that my stock bulbs just arent cutting it for my needs and so i will be upgrading to HIDs this weekend. i just had a question for those who've gone this route (i'm a p00r college student w/ no time to do a retro, unless someone wants to donate:rolleyes:).

to fill the hole in the cutoff shield to reduce glare, i was planning to patch it over with JB weld and tin foil (shiny side facing in), both of which should withstand the heat. i was wondering if that was feasible since i havent looked at the cutoff shield before(but i did have the headlights apart to remove the orange reflectors) as an alternative on spending $ on muffler putty.

thanks!

matt

I read in some threads that folding the flap could possibly deform the rest of the plate which might cause bad cut off. I personally just left it and put HIDs in anyways, im getting glare but havnt had any one highbeam me yet, though some of my friends do complain about it, but they are also driveing lowered cars. If you do the JBweld id recomend letting it dry outside of the headlight for a day. the fumes while it is drying might fog up your headlights. I wanted to cut apart a pop can and cover the hole and jb weld it, but i didnt want to deal with waiting it for dry because i only had 1 day to blackhouse and install my HIDs.

if you are already opening them up, why not buy rx330 non afs that will bolt on exactly in the stock spot. It will be MUCH wider than the halogen (even with the holes filled) and provide a better pattern.

I agree with this guy. If you're going through the trouble of opening them up then do it "right". Getting the rx bits isn't terribly expensive and the results are quite good.

Me, I hate opening headlights so I took the easy route.

...(i'm a p00r college student w/ no time to do a retro, unless someone wants to donate:rolleyes:).

t...

i agree with you guys too with the retrofit too, but this'll have to hold untill i graduate... unless you would like to donate :wub:

Yeah, if you are going to open them up..then just do a retro.

If you are not. Be lazy.

I don't like the idea of opening up the headlamps, so I just popped Xtecs in. Yes, there is the glare, but no one has highbeamed me. It doesn't bother me, and if it doesn't bother on coming traffic, then I don't mind.

In fact, I've been high beamed more with the stock halogens than the HIDs, and I have had the HIDs in for 2x as long as the Halogens...

if you are already opening them up, why not buy rx330 non afs that will bolt on exactly in the stock spot. It will be MUCH wider than the halogen (even with the holes filled) and provide a better pattern.

If you are doing a RX330 retrofit you will need to retain your stock cutoff shields. So bending the flap down is still a necessary procedure and is definately not a big deal. The flap is mounted to a very meaty part of the shield and is support only by two small tabs of metal, bending the flap will not deform the rest of the shield.

done today. i just blocked off the drivers side light for now. it was easier to get at and the most damage causing. sandwiched two pieces of aluminum foil over the hole and kinda tack-glued it on with JB weld. then i baked it for 10 min to a least start to set it before i put it back into the housing.

so i know theres a burn in time... but is it ok for one side to be red-pinkish and the other to be relatively blue-er?

ok I will chime in here and correct those that are wrong on certain things.

1. Do NOT bend the shield down because you can flare the shield.

2. AIM, AIM, AIM.... I can't say it enough but you must aim them properly to get the correct and most usuable output.

3. I understand your a college student and need to save money so you are doing it right. Cover the holes and move on from there.

If you have any questions please let me know. You can also find all the information for the Retro and for Aiming headlamps and how to do it in the Exterior Section of the forums sticky'd at the top.

ok I will chime in here and correct those that are wrong on certain things.

1. Do NOT bend the shield down because you can flare the shield.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think this?

Of the 3 retros I've done, I've folded the flap down, and was very adamant about checking the shields afterwards for any sort of change in geometry. The have never bent. Have other experienced otherwise?

yes other's have with various other shields from various projectors.

sure it might not happen but it has before so to save yourself from having to worry about it just fill the holes and call it a day.

bending the shield down also doesn't block out all the light that comes from the hole because it just reflects in the space left and comes out still but is certainly a lot less. maybe less than 10% even comes out still.

Looks good guys so how easy is it to get the rx330 reflectors? i am in Australia and as far as I know we can only buy the rx330 headlights as a complete unit. is this the same for the US.

If you are able to get them separately, are you able to give me the part nos.

Also, is there a difference between lhd and rhd headlamp relectors?

Many Thanks

Darren

Looks good guys so how easy is it to get the rx330 reflectors? i am in Australia and as far as I know we can only buy the rx330 headlights as a complete unit. is this the same for the US.

If you are able to get them separately, are you able to give me the part nos.

Also, is there a difference between lhd and rhd headlamp relectors?

Many Thanks

Darren

I have never seen the projectors sold separately from the headlamp assembly. RX330 non-afs are the same as RX8's and the USDM STi's (I think?). You will probably need to source them from an individual, either on Ebay or one of the HID forums.

And the LHD an RHD should be identical, However the shields will be different.

• 2 months later...

Archived