LegacyGT.com

Need newer info on NA ej22 turbo build

So most The info I find is kinda out if date. I have a na ej22 phase 1 was 145k on it this fall I am gonna rebuild it so I figured if im gonna do that maybe slap a small turbo on it. Im not looking for monster power I just want 6-8 psi just mor e power then my stock what 75whp (pathetic). Everyone says it cant be done or it can but its a time bomb. If someone could point me in right direction w a build that would be awesome.

yea and he put the turbo on a old motor no wonder a hg blew. mine is gonna rebuilt, i just want more opinions on it i want more power not high amounts just more then what i got now, i love this body style and ive put alot of money and blood into this car so getting rid of it out of the question. would it be smarter easier and cost less to just get a lower milage motor from older turbo legacy, and if i do this can i use my stock ecu and flash it or program it cuz i know wiring isway different from older ones then mine

in the early 90s,

subaru turbo-ed the ej22.

but they used a closed deck block,

not the open deck block they used for all the other ej22 in that decade.

given enough money and time of course it can be done.

but you would be much better off buying a 92 - 94 turbo car,

or a WRX car, or a 05 - 09 turbo-ed car.

it will cost less and perform better.

and you don't have to worry about the time bomb aspect.

Everyone says ....it can [be done] but its a time bomb.
if everyone told you that smoking causes cancer,

would you believe them????

why ask for advice and then ignore it.

there are much better ways to spend your money, imho.

in the early 90s,

given enough money and time of course it can be done.

but you would be much better off buying a 92 - 94 turbo car,

or a WRX car, or a 05 - 09 turbo-ed car.

it will cost less and perform better.

and you don't have to worry about the time bomb aspect.

^^ This. Johnegg speaks troof! With the money you would spend trying to do what you are hoping to, you could just buy a used WRX.

yea this is what im trying to get at whats the best way goin about this i have found a few sti/wrx's that are wrecked but run good at reasonable prices, and im not ignoring any advice i am taking it all in i wont lie im a subaru noob. i wouldnt of made a thread if i didnt wanna know i dont know about you guys but i get sick of sifting though pages of bs just to find one good point and then read even more posts of people saying different things about that one good point good or bad. and some the info is 2-3 years old alot can change in a year or 2 sorry i wanted direct answers and new info. but back to turbo my legacy lol, so i dont wanna spend 10k on a swap, if i went w a 92-94 would i have to change my car obd1 or stay w obd2 use my ecu n flash it or reprogram it whatever it would need or just do a pain in the ass stand alone, i wanna get all my ducks in a row before i start shooting em down cuz i plan on starting this swap in next cpl months cuz a salty new york winter is coming and my legacy will be in the garage until spring.

yea and he put the turbo on a old motor no wonder a hg blew.

Yes, and then he dropped in a 22T motor afterwards, so there is some good info in that thread.

so i dont wanna spend 10k on a swap

You may need to rethink your budget, unfortunately.

Your easiest and most cost effective option is to buy a wrecked WRX and swap everything over from that, including merging the WRX wiring harness (iwire can do the merge for you for about $800) with your Legacy harness and using the WRX ecu. The you can also swap over the suspension, brakes, engine crossmember, etc. I strongly suggest you go this route given your experience.

If you bought an older obd1 turbo leggy and wanted to run it's ecu you would also have to do a wiring harness merge which would convert your car to obd1 which may or may not be illegal in your state. 95 Legacies were a transition year so in some stated they are treated as obd1 although most are obd2.

You can also look into purchasing a JDM turbo engine such as a 20G. They can be found on ebay with the wiring harness, ecu, and trans for as little as $1500.

The ecu in your car can not be reflashed, or tuned so your only option using your stock ecu is to drop in a 22T motor or boost your 22E with 5-6 psi and a td04 or vf11. Neither option is ideal but can be made to work.

Some of the info you are coming across is 2-3 years old, yes, but not much has changed that will make that info out of date. And yes, there are lots of opinions about what's good, what's bad. The reality is, no one is going to be able to give you all the right answers. And you reading a lot of threads will expand your knowledge base and learn both the right and wrong way to do things.

I'm not trying to be rude, but please organize your posts into paragraphs and try to use punctuation. It makes it hard to follow your posts and people will be less inclined to answer.

As far as my swap, I am using a 22T block with new forged internals (STi rods, Wiseco .020 OTS pistons, stock crank, new ACL bearings) with 02 WRX 205 heads with new springs and valves and chamber matched to match the 2.2 bore, 02 WRX ecu and wiring harness merge, 02 WRX intake manifold and sensors, tmic. I haven't decided on the turbo, most likely a vf39 or equivalent. I will require a tune as well.

I am already thousands of dollars into the swap (including suspension and brake upgrades) and need thousands more until I am finished.

Safest and easiest way to do this is to swap in a 22t longblock. Your ECU will handle the boost up to 8psi then things go sour after that. This is far from a simple swap and you will have to think outside the box on numerous parts to get it all working right. I have about 7500 reliable daily miles on my turbo wagon at this point. Yes my 22e hg's went but I dropped in a 22t and got things working right. I get into boost every single day of driving and have no issues are this point. I have however had to fix a bunch of small gremlins in the system that can sometimes be extremely frustrating.

As everyone else has said, this is not something you can do for $500 and expect it to last forever. I have multiple 1000's into my build as well at this point and I'm expecting to spend another $5k minimum on motor/suspension/brakes before I'm even close to where I want it.

i know its not something i can do for $500. but few g yes. and there is always a few gremlins hiding being pain in the ass but u gotta expect that. i didnt say blank put bad info in his thread, it was actually good info and i learned from it.

so far this is what i have figured. i want the ej22t and i would like to keep it as stock as possible. i know im gonna have to fabricate some things but im used to that. sub frame is a given. wiring i hate but its gotta be done no matter what swap goes in.

quote: monke}] Your easiest and most cost effective option is to buy a wrecked WRX and swap everything over from that, including merging the WRX wiring harness (iwire can do the merge for you for about $800) with your Legacy harness and using the WRX ecu. The you can also swap over the suspension, brakes, engine crossmember, etc. I strongly suggest you go this route given your experience.

i can merge it myself got all winter to play w wires and napa will love it to lol. whats my given experience just out of curiosity? i said i was new to subaru not mechanics.

there are so many more options w honda remind me again why i fell in love w this subaru. if only my legacy could keep up w my civic. love em both

all in all. this is prolly the best forum i have been a member of. it is nice to get people actually trying to help one another instead of just bashing people or arguing w other people. over stupid shit. so thank you

i said i was new to subaru not mechanics.

Sorry, when you said you were a noob I assumed you hadn't done much mechanical work.

This lays out what will be required for a wrx harness merge: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t141937-brydon-teaches-you-merge-harness.html

If you are decided on using a stock 22T why are you planning on doing some wiring?

I think it would be awesome to use a standalone with a stock 22T longblock. They can make some serious power when you can tune them with a big turbo. And if you go with a standalone then you could use some 25D heads. I already have the WRX ecu and heads so I am just gong to stick with that.

The main reason I went with a 22T is because I picked one up for free and got the internals for a good price (and they are bitchin', lol) Otherwise I would have gone with a 257 or a JDM 20G.

so using a stock 22t there is no wiring? i figured there would be of somekind.

i want to use a 22t because i have heard good things about em.

i also heard through a grape vine that the ej22t is actually a ej20 just stroked n i thought that one was the 22b n jdm only.

so if i went stand alone who and what is gonna be the best bet?

sometimes i wish i was a noob in mechanics cuz i wouldnt get myself into some the mess' i do haha like this one.

As far as I know there won't be any wiring with the 22T swap. You will just use your 22e sensors.

The bore on the 22T is different than the ej20. It uses the same rods as the 22E and you can use STi rods as well.

Megasquirt is a less expensive standalone option, especially if you build the board yourself. But since I am going to use the WRX ecu I haven't looked into standalones very much. AEM, Hydra, Link are used quite often.

ok so just came across a jdm ej20 w 45-50k miles on it for 750$ i think it was from gc8? ill have to look again.

whats your take on that? he also has usdm 02 wrx motor w spun bearing for $400. could be worth buying to.

both motors come w all sensors, ecu, turbo, etc. he has complete 02 wrx basically

ok so i talked kid into selling me his ej22t from a 93 w 91k on it complete w everyting but plug wires for 350$ w engine cradle. and his jdm ej20 is 95.

maybe blankdeluxe could do a quick overview of doin the ej22t swap n what has to be done as far as custom work, n getting it to run right. i plan grabbing this motor when i get back into town from work friday

Being closed deck vs open deck with the power you are looking for does not matter even to the slightest!!

I turbo'ed mine with a vf11 for about 1200 or so. Reliable tuning is the only thing that matters and I don't know how you're going to do it apart from standalone. If you had a harness/ecu for a 22t then that would be the way to go. Your phase 1 pistons could safely hold 10psi from what I have experienced.

If you don't get a 22t, then you're going to have to make a custom uppipe and downpipe obviously.

I can get the ecu from him but blank says my ecu will run it fine with it being stock using all my sensors. Only the engine harness came w motor. And all of the exhaust system but the muffler. So I should be able to fab something up no problem

I got complete motor w engine harness, 90% of the exhaust, and engine cradle for 350$ not bad deal, I think.

Archived