LegacyGT.com

Turbo Overhaul

During the engine revamp, the dealer found that the wastegate valve was cockeyed...not fully seating. A new VF42 is going in, and there is no credit for the old one. So, they are putting it in a box and giving it back to me. I want to send it out for overhaul...then sell it to recover some of the cost of the new turbo. Any 1st hand experience out there with shops that do this?

First person I thought of is a member on here named jmp. He's been laying low lately to tune in with life's changes. He'd rebuilt many turbos, including mine. As for any other places I think there are a few online sources to find. Choose one with at least some guarantee of workmanship and product support.

I'll be home from work in a couple hours. Then I'll dig up some others that I was looking to do the same work with my vf40.

Contacted 3 tuners...heard back from 2. Consensus is that it is now a really cool paperweight. Something to be used in the future to tear apart and turn my girls into gear heads.

Does BNR Supercars still take cores? I know a long time back you were able to send in an old vF40 to get it reconfigured to a 16g. Might be an option if they still do that and get a nice little upgrade in the process.

I have a brand new Malett RHF55 CHRA (core) here at home going into a VF52. You could do the same... IF you are adventurous and your exhaust side is relatively crack free, getting a complete Malett centre core from the UK is a very good option. The RHF55 is the same across several versions of the IHI. It's about 200 Pounds Sterling shipped for that.

My housings are good but I'm kinda kicking myself as the local Rally Company (Rocket Rally), looks to be purging a few BNIB turbos from their garage for a real good price! :spin:

I did see that one tuner was offering a core value...but never heard back. For someone to trust the turbo, a tuner would buy it, send it out for O/H, then sell it with a warranty from the repair shop. IIRC...the core was only $100. After shipping costs, it is worth more to me to have my kids take it apart and learn something cool. I wish my dad had one of these on the table as a center piece.

Archived