LegacyGT.com

Maryland State Inspections

Blaaaaake

I wish I did! The shop charged me $45 to re-test my headlights after I polished them. Apparently that isn't included in the $35 re-inspection fee. Of course, they wanted to charge me a total of $200 to polish and re-test them and $65 to "test and replace bulbs" for the rear tag lights. I ended up getting through inspection for ~50 in parts and supplies not including the inspection fees which totaled roughly $120. They wanted roughly $450 to do everything no including inspection fees.

• I Donated
I wish I did! The shop charged me $45 to re-test my headlights after I polished them. Apparently that isn't included in the $35 re-inspection fee. Of course, they wanted to charge me a total of $200 to polish and re-test them and $65 to "test and replace bulbs" for the rear tag lights. I ended up getting through inspection for ~50 in parts and supplies not including the inspection fees which totaled roughly $120. They wanted roughly $450 to do everything no including inspection fees.

Um, WTF? I had the same issue (headlights were hazy) when I was selling my brother's 01 Forester, and the shop didn't charge me extra to re-inspect after I polished them.

• I Donated
So, um, passing a car through inspection that shouldn't be passed is actually something like a $25k fine if the state finds out. If you like these guys, best to edit out their names and PM the OP instead.

Hey guys, I was able to get some stock stuff to put on for inspection. Thankfully the inspector allowed me to use some aftermarket reflectors for the headlights as well. Glad it's all over now.

So, um, passing a car through inspection that shouldn't be passed is actually something like a $25k fine if the state finds out. If you like these guys, best to edit out their names and PM the OP instead.

Point taken, however, I never suggested my guy passes cars that shouldn't be passed. He passed us for things that the other guy failed, like a fixed, 1/4" star on the drivers side windshield. We had documentation from Safelite that it was repaired. First guy failed us, he passed us. It was my daughters car, so it was far from unsafe.

• 3 weeks later...
MD is crayyy. I was contemplating moving here permanently, but I think I'll head back to DE. This crap about car cannot be lowered, and all that jazz is just another ridiculous form of control on its residents. Does lowering a car make it unsafe? Sure unsafe methods can be used in doing it; ( cutting, heating, cheap springs) but can a State Trooper pull you over for having your car lowered by couple inches? If that's the case, then lowering springs should be illegal in MD. In DE, as long as your car can stop when brakes are applied, signals are operational as well as lights, OBDII checks out fine, then it's a done deal ( but a real bummer in DE is no front windows tinted. Guess I can thank God for sensitive eyes.)

Thank you kind Sir. That confirms my suspicion that these guys are losers...

In MD you only need your car inspected when you register it. Compared to PA, for example, which requires yearly inspections. I'll take a once-and-done inspection over that.

I've used a guy, Steve's Garage, on Joppa Rd near Loch Raven Blvd, who's great. He does not do service work, so he has no ulterior motives. He does offer head light polishing (both of my cars have minor hazing and they weren't an issue) and minor windshield repair (too big of a chip = fail, unless filled) to help you pass.

Note - I'm not suggesting he'd be lenient, and I doubt he would be. I just like him more than the service shops that do repairs.

He also doesn't charge a reinspection fee if you're fixed within 30 days and 1000 miles. I need to replace the center brake light on my miata to pass - he said just stop by one day, back up to the door, and he'll check it, then have me on my way with my inspection certificate.

Archived