LegacyGT.com

Towing with a 2009 Special Edition 2.5

I have a legacy 2.5 Special Edition. I just bought a boat, its small and light, a 13 foot whaler. The boat weights 350 lbs, motor trailer, and equipment, won't weight over 700lbs. Its a very light rig.

How would the car do pulling this weight? Does anyone have any experience pulling a similar weight?

Thanks.

You shouldn't have a problem with power.

It's the trans and brakes that will be under load.

I've towed a bit with a 1st Gen Leggy, n/a EJ22... the trans was not happy towing over 1000 lbs, but it had 130K on it when it died, and it had been abused.

I have a legacy 2.5 Special Edition. I just bought a boat, its small and light, a 13 foot whaler. The boat weights 350 lbs, motor trailer, and equipment, won't weight over 700lbs. Its a very light rig.

How would the car do pulling this weight? Does anyone have any experience pulling a similar weight?

Thanks.

Automatic transmission?

If you'll tow regularly, it may be wise to add a transmission cooler. $50 to $70 shipped. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/70255-SuperCooler-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000CIGE96/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338473284&sr=8-3]I went with this one.[/ame] This model apparently has a viscosity-based bypass, which prevents the ATF from getting too cold (and therefore too viscous) in cold weather, etc.

Installation instructions are attached.

Notes from my own installation are here.

Transcool.pdf

With the AT, you should already have the trans lines running to the radiator. So all you have to do is add the separate cooler and then plumb those lines to it. It runs up the frame rail on the drivers side, underneath and then they usually pop up right next to the battery (these are hard lines). Plumb them with different rubber hoses to the new cooler, just watch for tight bends/kinks. I have used plastic 90 deg elbows before for these types of ATF lines.

The question is, how much time will you tow? If it's only once and a while, you prob don't need to bother. If you plan to tow a lot or lots of long trips or if you have to deal with mountains, thin air, or something like that, then yes this is very worthwhile.

I have a friend with an 06 Outback 2.5i that has towed a boat much like yours, to and from Atlanta/Florida with no problems ever, totally stock. Just look after the fluids a little more often (like ATF, oil, and coolant).

Archived