LegacyGT.com

Radiator cap replacement

I checked the Stant website for a part number and they show the same part number for the cap on the radiator and what they call "top of engine" which I believe is the tank on the right side (over the turbo). The OEM caps appear to be different, one having little "ears" and they other being perfectly round. Anyone know if the replacements are indeed the same part?

I was checking my oil level and found another difference between the caps. They have different pressure ratings. I'm guessing you would want the lower pressure on the radiator cap so it'll open and vent into the overflow tank. No purpose in having the other cap vent because of the mess.

Which leads me to believe Stant is just being lazy designating the same cap for both applications. Maybe I'll just go to a dealership and get the OEM replacements.

I was checking my oil level and found another difference between the caps. They have different pressure ratings. I'm guessing you would want the lower pressure on the radiator cap so it'll open and vent into the overflow tank. No purpose in having the other cap vent because of the mess.

Which leads me to believe Stant is just being lazy designating the same cap for both applications. Maybe I'll just go to a dealership and get the OEM replacements.

Maybe I'll just go to a dealership and get the OEM replacements.

I think you answered your own question.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...

I checked into this with the guys at Fred Bean's about 1.5-2 yrs ago. They determined that Subaru was now spec'ing the same rad cap for both the radiator & the tank by the turbo. It didn't make any sense to me that Subaru would originally spec two different caps based on the different pressure ratings and then go back on that later.

I tried to look up the part numbers on the opposedforces.com website but I can't get it to load this morning.

• 2 years later...

OEM Rad caps and OEM Tstats we have found to work the best...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 6 months later...
Bump from the dead. Trying to sort out my own 108 vs 137kpa mystery :lol:

Anyone know if Subaru is still making round (no ears) 137kpa caps

I just payed a visit to the dealer today to pick up a replacement cap for my fill tank, which sits beside the turbo. The OEM replacement for the fill tank cap is now a 108kpa radiator-style cap which they said supercedes the original 137kpa spec. The parts guy had a spare round 137kpa cap with no ears, I believe for an STI, and was $28 instead of $8.

An interesting note, I've been reading around and it seems that many of the LGT and OBXT guys have the 108kpa 'eared' cap installed onto the fill tank and the 137kpa on the radiator.

Can anyone who's car is in good order verify if this is right? I've been having coolant overflow issues and after much pain a quick cap swap to the aforementioned configuration seems to have fixed it thus far.

OBXT

I sadly replaced my radiator about a year ago because the cap on the radiator tested "good" at the lower rating as the reservoir on top of the motor. Yes, the cap on top of the Radiator is the 137 kpa, the cap on the reservoir is 108 (or whatever). Works out to be a 20psi cap on the radiator and 16 psi on the reservoir.

Damn radiator cap tested good to 16 psi, replaced the radiator, still spewed fluid everywhere. Another parts store told me it should have been good to 20 psi. :mad:

OEM Rad caps and OEM Tstats we have found to work the best...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I would agree with this... Unless you are looking for performance parts...

I would agree with this... Unless you are looking for performance parts...

Hmm, except that the "performance" T-stats all fail (Trust us we've been doing this for a while) and the same goes for most if not all of the rad caps...

-mike

• 9 months later...

Archived