LegacyGT.com

Engine Replacement

Just purchased it...not an option got it realy cheap due to high milage and funny noise from crank it's 10/2007 outback with all the godies...it would be shame to get rid of it especialy it's in such nice condition...

What are my options the sticking to the car?

Unfortunately mwiener is correct their are very limited options when it comes to more power on the 2.5i platform and none are cheap. Your easiest and cheapest route would be to find a good condition 2.5 motor and build it up with aftermarket cams heads and bottom end. Even then I wouldn't expect a big difference in power and it would cost a few thousand dollars in parts alone.

Just purchased it...not an option got it realy cheap due to high milage and funny noise from crank it's 10/2007 outback with all the godies...it would be shame to get rid of it especialy it's in such nice condition...

What are my options the sticking to the car?

Why did you purchase it if you knew it had too little power? It is painful to hear owners who bought a car that is not want they want and THEN try to reseach what to do about it...:mad:

Your option is to stick with the car and hope you have no crank issue. Building the motor would be stupid IMO because the amount of money it takes to get decent all-motor power you could trade in and get a LGT and go stage 2 with a lot more power and less trouble, time, money and hassle.

Believe it or dont. Love what you got or trade it in. Turbo = easy to mod, N/A = expensive to mod. Turbo $1000 = 1 second, N/A $1000 = .1 sec

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum - don't rag me about for that to much ok?

1.LGT is not available in UK

2....if it was it would be £500 to tax it and about £1000 to insure it

3.I had a budget of £5000 and legacy/outback in spec I have is Ideal to cope with all the needs I have - apart from the engine issue discovered after the purchase and that's why I think it would be rather nice to top up the power while fixing the engine...

4.Same car from same year with lower milage would cost me 3x times what I paid

5.I'm not the kind of person who takes out a mortage on the car - all cash.

If you guys think you are experts and can't be bothered answering stupid questions don't!

How do you know the person on the other side of the cable isn't an expert in what he/she is doing and you might need he's expertise in the future?

If you're on a budget and can't afford a trade-up...then you probably are not going to be afford a complete engine replacement.

You may want to contact Rallitek.com they have a lot of engine parts for 2.5i such as camshafts and lightweight crank pulleys. I'd get both for starters especially if you think there is an issue with your stock cams.

They also have 2.5i engines but the shipping to the UK would be a fortune. If you had that kind of $, you'd buy a Kraut wagon.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum - don't rag me about for that to much ok?

1.LGT is not available in UK

2....if it was it would be £500 to tax it and about £1000 to insure it

3.I had a budget of £5000 and legacy/outback in spec I have is Ideal to cope with all the needs I have - apart from the engine issue discovered after the purchase and that's why I think it would be rather nice to top up the power while fixing the engine...

4.Same car from same year with lower milage would cost me 3x times what I paid

5.I'm not the kind of person who takes out a mortage on the car - all cash.

If you guys think you are experts and can't be bothered answering stupid questions don't!

How do you know the person on the other side of the cable isn't an expert in what he/she is doing and you might need he's expertise in the future?

We are NOT trying to rag on you! Most of these opinions may be harsh but there is a LOT of truth about how much effort it is to get a lot of power out of a 4cyl all-motor vs force-fed.

I think something that you could consider would be a supercharger. If you were willing to shell out $3000+USD you would be pushing over 200awhp from some of the threads I have read.

It is a lot of money for not a lot of return if a LGT were available but in your situation it might be what you want.

Hi I'm looking in to swaping my 2.5i for more powerfull unit what would be the best option? H6?

How dificult would that be?

How about turbo engines?

Thanks in advance...

I inquired about swapping-in an STI engine, with and without the STI 6-spd transmission, for the Japanese specs engine as well as the North American engine which offers more low-end torque.

The cost are for turn-key solution meaning, you drop the car off for 3 weeks and get it back with all professionally installed to the point that if you ever get a CEL in the future, any Subaru dealership can diagnose it. Priced in Cdn dollars:

- Japan spec STi engine w/o 6-spd trany = $10,000

- $1,000 more for the North American Sti engine (more torque)

- 6-spd Sti trany is $5,000 extra on any of the above applications

Is it worth it, IMO....nope! I'd rather sell the Subaru and move onto another brand as there are other great cars out there.

Archived