LegacyGT.com

If you have angry etched water spots on your glass get in here.

I have tried everything to get rid of the toughest water spots on my windows. I have tried no less than 3 compounds specifically made for the job, steel wool, you name it... In desperation i was rooting around my kitchen and i came across some brass cleaner and i remember it smelling strongly of ammonia last time i used it so i gave it a shot. Son of a bitch if that stuff didn't rip those fuckers off that glass like they weren't even there!!:woowoo: I accelerated the process even more with the aid of some #0000 steel wool and it works great.

I used Wrights brass cleaner and i think i got it a Winco or something. Don't get it on the paint or tint because it will probably do awful things. Always do a test area first, not responsible for damage ect ect....

If the water spots are etched, the ammonia isn't what helped here, it was the abrasives in the brass cleaner (polish).

And there are different formulations of Windex, some have ammonia, some do not. Often vinegar will clean up water spots as well, but not likely etched marks.

I dont know what it was because i have used much more abrasive products on it and it didn't do shit, so it could be a mixture of things. Either way, if you need it, it definitely makes your life easier.

Vinegar is great at removing mineral deposits on tons of stuff (including glass). An aggressive clay can help as well. When I worked at a detailing shop we would burn through tons of #0000 steel wool. It is a major asset to have when encountering windows in rough shape; also works well in conjunction with a razor blade to get glue off after removing window tint. If the spots are still there after all that, I would resort to polishing the glass. There are plenty of companies that make specialized glass polish but you can usually use whatever you might have; don't be afraid to put pressure, glass is much harder than clear coat.

Archived