LegacyGT.com

Larger Oil Filter???

Nothing specifically.. All 4 cylinder EJ Subaru's actually use the same exact oil filter all the way up to the STi

Any oil filter that is the same diameter as the "designated" filter will fit, you'll just have to find one that is longer as well.

I don't really know what advantages or disadvantages there are to using a larger filter.

A larger filter has in theory larger filter area, but it's not necessarily true - it also depends on how many times the filter material is folded and then the quality of the filter material also plays a role.

But if you take two filters of the same brand but with different physical size it's likely that the larger filter has a larger filter area.

Search on the net and you will see that there's a large variations in filters, and if you want to experiment with different filters you need to consider the threading and diameter of the connection, the diameter of the outer seal and also that the outer diameter isn't too large since then it will get in contact with the headers - and that's not good.

A longer filter of the same diameter as the original and with the same mounting towards the engine would work.

But personally I would go for a magnetic oil plug instead of hunting for a larger filter.

453747.png

Every bosch filter I've gotten has had a pitiful job of chasing the threads on inlet and the rubber o ring, in one case with my civic, was all wonkey and didn't seal from just hand tightening. It pissed oil as soon as I started it.

I guess if you have had good luck with them keep on, I just never have.

I always use the Subaru blues & have never had an issue. For a box of 3 or so, I pay about $25, which isn't bad. I also have a powerful magnetic oil drain & a small, 8lbs magnet under the oil filter itself. I can go up to 7000mi on the same oil & it will STILL be amber by the time it needs to be changed.

Why, You ask?

Because with 280K miles, the engine is using some oil. I'm sure the rings are worn, and some oil is getting by. It's not smoking, but extended (2+Hrs)freeway runs usually mean a quart of oil lost. Sometimes a little more.

A larger oil filter would hold more than the oem 1.5 pints.

But more filtration wont make it use less oil..

If anything I would use 3.2 quarts of rotella 5w40 and replace a full quart of oil with a quart of lucas oil stabilizer (full synthetic).

It got rid of lifter tick I had for a while until I got around to adjusting the lash.

I was gonna say an oil cooler is about as easy as an actual engine mod you can do besides doing intake/ignition things.

That would give you at least a quart, even more depending on line diameter, how many rows the core is etc...

I'm really not interested in putting an oil cooler on a 300k mile engine.

I am interested in putting a little larger capacity oil filter on it.

So, does anyone know if there is a larger oil filter that works with the EJ25D?

Archived