LegacyGT.com

5MT Advice is needed please :)

Deredeo

so i just purchased my 05 gt ltd and i am loving it! a serious step above my old 98 22L - but i still miss that lil green imp...

i purchased my leg with 71k on the ticker and unfortunately the clutch is starting to slip at higher rpms and speed but still holding in the lower gears...i am doing this fix on a budget, and dont intend to do any track times or auto crossing so i am probably going to go with the stock / oe setup...my big questions are

1 - what mfrs should i avoid...i have found deals on a daikin / exedy unit and a sachs kit, both without the TOB however. is this is a good idea - rep'ing clutch and pp but not the TOB.

2 - is it entirely nec to replace the flywheel at this time? i am not getting any noise or chatter and grab is good in 1st - 3rd gears...i know the single

faced ones spin up faster, but really i like her the way is for now :redface:

thanks for the help...these forums are really informative to me a new leg head, and i found and answered most of my questions by searching..these to are just picking at my brain..and others may crop up later also...

thanks for the assits folks....

hmm i guess my main question is whether it is necessary to replace the fact flywheel at this time, and if the lighter single faced fw is compatible with the oem legacy gt clutch set-up? any help would be greatly appreaciated :)

The cheapest thing is a factory clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing replacement. You can't know for sure the condition of the flywheel until you can have a look at it.

A clutch that is not designed to originally work with a dual mass flywheel WILL NOT FIT.

Most aftermarket setups do NOT work with the OEM Dual Mass Flywheel. Exedy makes OEM quality products and actually supplies the OEM clutch for older WRX's (not sure if they still do and for what models)

If you don't plan on ever modifying for more power, go with a new OEM setup. If you even think you might up the power later, go with something aftermarket.

The newer legacy's dumped the Dual Mass Flywheel in favor of a regular one, you might consider doing so as well. By using an 06+ WRX flywheel (which is the same part number as the newer legacy's) you can use most aftermarket clutch kits. I'm not positive, but the 06+ flyhweel should match up with the OEM pressure plate and disc.

TOB is a definite must. Flywheel really depends on what it looks like.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

thanks for the advice! i am going to stick with the oem setup for now, and keep my fingers crossed on that flywheel...if i need a new flywheel however i will go with one from an 06 wrx. does anyone out there know 100% that this combo - oem exedy clutch and pp mated to an o6 wrx flywheel - will work? i am pretty sure the stock dm flywheel is ok but incase it needs to be rep'd i'd like to keep all my options open...

again thanks all!

thanks for the advice! i am going to stick with the oem setup for now, and keep my fingers crossed on that flywheel...if i need a new flywheel however i will go with one from an 06 wrx. does anyone out there know 100% that this combo - oem exedy clutch and pp mated to an o6 wrx flywheel - will work? i am pretty sure the stock dm flywheel is ok but incase it needs to be rep'd i'd like to keep all my options open...

again thanks all!

The exedy stage 1 does

Archived