LegacyGT.com

Front brake replacement/upgrade

So my left front caliber seized up on me and was toasting my rotor. Took it to a local shop and they want to replace both front rotors and brake pads and the left caliber for $550 with labor. I've seen some slot and drilled front rotor kits on ebay with ceramic pads, but are these any good? What's people's experiences with these and/or what would you do in my situation? Thanks subie friends

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, slotted/drilled rotors on a street car are more show then go. Unless you road race or drive like an idiot on the street, it isn't really worth the extra cost. I actually have crossdrilled rotors (previous owner installed) and plan to replace them with standard rotors soon. now a good set of pads will make a big difference, but keep in mind, the harder the pads the more rotors you are going to eat up.

Crossdrilled are nice if you're going for looks, otherwise they don't provide anymore performance over blank rotors. Ebay rotors are a 50/50 gamble, unless you know for sure what type of metal they used and how they milled & balance it. If you're looking for quailty crossdrilled, IMO I would recommend StopTech or DBA.

As for pads, a lot of members run Hawks HPS or StopTech pads. These are great pads for daily driving. Ebay "no name" pads are cheap, so expect to get what you pay for. ;)

My wife's balls are delicious.

DO THE JOB YOURSELF...

I just did this exact same job last Friday... Cost me a whopping $93 for the caliper from Autozone ($35 of which I got back for the core)... Then a simple hour and a half on the jack stands (only that long because I had driven the car to Autozone to get the caliper just before and had to wait for the caliper and rotor to cool before I started working on things)...

Seriously, I priced EVERYTHING (Rotors, calipers and pads from Autozone) and if you do the job yourself one weekend it'll still cost you less in parts than that shop is trying to charge you for what is honestly less than an hour's work with air tools...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... If your car is a daily driver and you really don't care about spending a ton of $$$ on it, just go to Autozone. EVERYTHING I listed above (Rotors, Calipers and even PADS!) have lifetime warranty's... If they ever fail (or wear down - Pads) take them back and get new ones...

Most autoparts stores stock one or two of most common calipers. you would be amazed how much they actually stock behind that counter. and no, calipers are not universal, I would say at advance when I worked there we had a couple hundred calipers in the back at any given time.

i always did Auto Zone rotors because After auto x season and I warped the hell out of em I'd just trade em in for a new set.

for 550$ you can buy subaru 4 pots and wrx rotors w/ pads of rs25 forums or nasioc.

if you dont plan on any type of auto x or racing. just stick to stock subaru pads they work great.

-B

Go get a set of calipers and brackets from a junkyard. I got a set from an 02 WRX for 180 bucks, and those came with EBC blue stuff brake pads in them (I got lucky). A set of Stoptech Street Performance pads and DBA slotted and vented rotors both for an 02' WRX together came out to 200 bucks. So for $170 less, I was able to do the WRX front brake conversion with upgraded rotors and pads for a lot cheaper than $550. Do it yourself, just make sure your bleeder valves point up when you install the calipers.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... If your car is a daily driver and you really don't care about spending a ton of $$$ on it, just go to Autozone. EVERYTHING I listed above (Rotors, Calipers and even PADS!) have lifetime warranty's... If they ever fail (or wear down - Pads) take them back and get new ones...

Really? Even the pads can be replaced for free?!?! I know where I'm getting my next set of brake pads

autozone even had the caliper? are calipers universal or was it just luck of the draw they had one for a subaru legacy gt? im in a small town so most likely they wont have car specific parts. and how was the difficulty of install?

They didn't have it in store. They had to order it from the distributer... Ordered it the night before at 7pm and picked it up the next day at lunch... Not too bad for something that cost right about $60 AND has a life time warranty... Never have to pay for a caliper again (for that side atleast) !

Let me get this straight... all I need to do to upgrade to WRX brakes in the front is simply get the caliper and bracket, take off MY caliper and bracket, and bolt the new ones in? The brake lines and everything can then bolt right back up??? It can't possibly be that easy...

(I know obviously I'd need new pads and rotors.)

i always did Auto Zone rotors because After auto x season and I warped the hell out of em I'd just trade em in for a new set.

for 550$ you can buy subaru 4 pots and wrx rotors w/ pads of rs25 forums or nasioc.

if you dont plan on any type of auto x or racing. just stick to stock subaru pads they work great.

-B

Regarding the 4-pot brakes... Do you know how easy this conversion is to do? Any clearance issues?

From a dusting standpoint, my experience with EBC green on my Jetta was not good. Stopping power was fine, dust was very bad. I'm running DBA's and hawk pads now. Hawk's dust a little less than EBC IMO. We all have different experiences and driving habits though...

Nick, How are the EBC greenstuff pads, as far as making brake dust?

A little more than stock; not bad. After 2x 300 mile trips to Keystone on mountain roads, and multiple highway exits from 80mph to 20 mph, I have only noticed a thin layer of dust.

No Subaru can compare to the dust from the old Mercedes 97 W210 E320. After a short drive around the block, the front wheels were completely black. :lol:

Archived