LegacyGT.com

Shop to swap turbo into my car

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am looking for a shop to swap a turbo motor into my 1999 non-turbo car. My car is a 1999 Legacy Outback 30th Anniversary Wagon with the 2.5 and automatic. Current motor has 222,xxx miles and in looking around at other Subarus, including WRXs I've decided I'd rather spend my car money to turbo my existing car than buy something else.

So, can anyone direct me to a shop that can do a quality swap, no codes etc, gotta pass emissions.

Not looking for max hp, has to live with an automatic.

I'm in Houston, TX so closer would be better, but distance is not a deal breaker.

Thanks!

• I Donated
The automatic transmission (especially with that many miles on it) won't be very happy or long lasting with the added power of a turbo engine. With that being said though, I sent this link to a friend in the Houston area who may be able to help you.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks for any help.

Over the years the car has had at least the following dine:

JDM headlights w/LED strips

Radiator / water pump

Alternator

Power steering pump

Steering rack

Head gaskets

Tranny rebuild

Auto dimming compass

Radar detector

WRX seats

Catalytic converters

16" Subaru wheels

I obviously want to keep this car!

A 2.0 or 2.2 swap with a TDO4 would be perfect for a 4EAT. Are there any local Subaru forums you can join to find some nutballs to help you out? Are you opposed to building up a 4EAT to handle some more power?

The 4EAT on my wife's SS has no problem handling the little VF12 (just a teeny bit smaller

than a TD04). As much as I love a 5MT I think 4EATs are great. They shift so smooth and make for a comfy ride.

Do you want to source your own motor or just drop the car off, set it and forget it? Or do you want to boost what you already have? I bet you'd be happy with a wrx swap.

Budget? Power goals?

I am open to all options on the swap, although I'm not going to throw stupid money at it. If the 4EAT has to be beefed up, so be it, but I'd want to look at a 5EAT at that point. For all I know that is a complete non-starter. Swap in a complete motor/transmission from a turbo automatic 5EAT? I'd probably want to do the deal turn-key, so the shop could source, build-up what we agree is best based on their experience. Would have to have good documentation for maintenance down the road.

What is the difference between the first gen turbo 2.2 and the second gen non turbo 2.2 ?

First gen 2.2 is the famous EJ22T. Same bore as the first and second gen EJ22, #3 thrust bearing like phase 1 EJ22Es (although this isn't an advantage over the phase 2 EJ22s with #5 thrust). However it is made of a denser aluminum, thicker sleeves, has piston oil squirters, and most importantly is a closed deck block meaning there is extra material surrounding the cylinder bores on the mating surface where the cylinder heads meet.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/henry616/Mobile%20Uploads/94B94CD0-A430-452D-81D0-DCEB6F5A9A79_zpso77haqco.jpg

Here you can see one of the oil squirters.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/henry616/Mobile%20Uploads/72A56EEA-E697-486D-AF68-80CE808C8339_zpsvo5bal4o.jpg

And here you can see the closed deck design on my block that I picked up from the machine shop yesterday. These blocks are capable of 26-30 psi (with forged internals) and are sought after certain nutballs who want monster boxer builds.

Hope you don't mind the thread jack David. :)

David, have you thought about importing a front clip of a JDM vehicle? It would have everything needed for your swap and there are some places in Texas that specialize in JDM imports. Then you get to select the power train and could drop off the clip and your car at the shop of your choosing to perform the swap.

Definitely not plug and play with the 22t. Only way is if you have the complete 22t engine and remove the wiring harness and have iwire merge the 22t harness with your L harness which will set you back $800 but very worth it IMHO. But in your case having a 95 L is the best case scenario as far as emissions are concerned. 95 was the transition year between obd1 and obd2 so in my state they treat a 95 as obd1. So potentially if you leave two harnesses you can run the 22t ecu.

If you have the time to pull the block, complete exhaust, and wiring harness from that touring wagon!!! Looks clean! 22ts are getting more and more rare. You can sell the block halves to nutballs in the uk for at least $600.

I would think the easiest swap for me would be the turbo engine out of a '99 GT wagon that had an automatic. But I do not have the mechanical skills to pull that off.

USDM didn't have turbos in that generation. Now you're talking a JDM swap, which is also a very complex, and different ball of wax..

The rare Baja turbo had an auto. Find one of those and pay a shop to swap it all over. You'd be doing the world a favor since they a hideous, lol.

Turbo Baja is a rare beast, indeed. Not very nice to rip it apart for a swap, even if they're ugly.

It's identical to the 4th gen LGT, which, again, presents its own swap issues and isn't recommended.

Archived