LegacyGT.com

Rebuilding teh Power Steering Pump?

Id like to know as well, im pretty sure getting a new pump would be better than getting a used one, but rebuilding one might be a good idea if it possible.

mine makes noise every morning when i start up and it eventually goes away wen things warm up.

Nice! I might give this $14 kit a try instead of $180 for new pump. Checked all wrecking yards already. Not sure if any special tools are required but I would like to know. Maybe give that company a call and ask them since they might know... Slim chance.

And Lucas doesn't work for everything... It didn't seal up my tiny oil leak I have on my rear main seal.

Okay just got off the phone with them... Nice people! Only major tool they said probably needed would be snap ring plyers. The kit doesn't include a bearing that they said usually never goes bad or we don't have one inside our pumps but if you need to replace the bearing, local part stores carry a "water pump" bearing that matches up to the exact PS bearing he said that 1 guy did on his pump but didn't remember what vehicle pump and your bearing should have the numbers on it. And who knows... We might not even have a bearing in our pumps but am sure we do to spin the pulley. So pull the numbers off your bearing worse case and match it up or search for someone who sells the replacement bearing.

Thanks for the info "Matty". All the junk yards with Subaru Legacys in my area have been picked clean. I'm hoping to have the kit buy this weekend. I have a feeling that there is a bearing in this pump though. I don't believe bad seals would make the noise that it has. But, won't know till I dig into it.

That's good to know about the bearing might be able to be matched up. Hope that there is numbers on it. Good news on no special tools needed for this job.

I'll be taking pictures and post them.

Got my kit today, but only see the large o ring and c clip in my package that matches anything else, I don't see the bearing. Also my pump only whines cold now, once warm it goes away and acts normal. Can't find any leaks, changed to ss hose clamps. Werid.

thats exactly what mine does! whines only when cold :(

Got my kit today, but only see the large o ring and c clip in my package that matches anything else, I don't see the bearing. Also my pump only whines cold now, once warm it goes away and acts normal. Can't find any leaks, changed to ss hose clamps. Werid.

I still haven't received my kit. Guess I'll be contacting them. I hope there is more to that kit that fits this pump than just an O-ring & clip.

I still haven't received my kit. Guess I'll be contacting them. I hope there is more to that kit that fits this pump than just an O-ring & clip.

That's the main reason I'm doing this rebuild is because it wines when cold. I won't know if the bearing is bad until the pump from the car. That's way I bought this used pump, and the bearing is nice and smooth.

Receive the pump kit and came with everything to rebuild the pump including the shaft bearing. Was surprised how easy it was to rebuild this. Also, the pulley does not have to be removed from the shaft.

Just a word of advice. When you take the pump apart, lay the parts out in the order in which you disassembled it. Then just reverse the order when putting it back together.

Do this in a clean area & clean the inside of the pump & all reusable parts with brake clean. Use a light coat vaseline petroleum jelly on the rubber O rings.

After I put the pump back together & installed it back in the car, I poured a little power steering fluid in the pump before priming the system.

So, total was $37 & my labor. That price also included a $16 used pump from a junk yard. I wanted to rebuild that before removing the working one in the car.

Again, well worth the price instead of buying a rebuilt pump for $160

Also, while I was at it, I replace the A/C Idler Pulley. Glad I did. Turns out that the bearings were going bad. I do believe that was the major whine noise heard when I first started the engine until it warmed up.

RockAuto Parts http://www.rockauto.com/ has the bearing, (Part # 89029) for $28.79 + shipping. If you use this 5% discount code 27693932289137 you'll save another $1.44.

I checked Advanced Auto Parts in my area, & they had the same part number as RockAuto, & had it in stock.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Idler-Tensioner-Pulley,-Lt-Duty-Dayco_15130007-P_806_R|GRPBELTAMS_587763123___

I printed out the RockAuto price & Advance matched it.

Not to take away the great service & fast shipping that RockAuto does, but I got this right down the street from me.

Oh, one more thing. If you replace the A/C Idler Pulley, while your at it, remove the drivers side timing cover & inspect the timing belt. But that's another thread.

After everything was put back together. Engine starts & is quiet as a mouse now...........

Receive the pump kit and came with everything to rebuild the pump including the shaft bearing. Was surprised how easy it was to rebuild this. Also, the pulley does not have to be removed from the shaft.

Just a word of advice. When you take the pump apart, lay the parts out in the order in which you disassembled it. Then just reverse the order when putting it back together.

Do this in a clean area & clean the inside of the pump & all reusable parts with brake clean. Use a light coat vaseline petroleum jelly on the rubber O rings.

After I put the pump back together & installed it back in the car, I poured a little power steering fluid in the pump before priming the system.

So, total was $37 & my labor. That price also included a $16 used pump from a junk yard. I wanted to rebuild that before removing the working one in the car.

Again, well worth the price instead of buying a rebuilt pump for $160

Also, while I was at it, I replace the A/C Idler Pulley. Glad I did. Turns out that the bearings were going bad. I do believe that was the major whine noise heard when I first started the engine until it warmed up.

RockAuto Parts http://www.rockauto.com/ has the bearing, (Part # 89029) for $28.79 + shipping. If you use this 5% discount code 27693932289137 you'll save another $1.44.

I checked Advanced Auto Parts in my area, & they had the same part number as RockAuto, & had it in stock.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Idler-Tensioner-Pulley,-Lt-Duty-Dayco_15130007-P_806_R|GRPBELTAMS_587763123___

I printed out the RockAuto price & Advance matched it.

Not to take away the great service & fast shipping that RockAuto does, but I got this right down the street from me.

Oh, one more thing. If you replace the A/C Idler Pulley, while your at it, remove the drivers side timing cover & inspect the timing belt. But that's another thread.

After everything was put back together. Engine starts & is quiet as a mouse now...........

So I take it you got the rebuild kit that included the new bearing from PSKITS.COM?

• 1 year later...

Archived