LegacyGT.com

i think my mechanic stole my vf52

i ended up having to put a new engine and transmission in my 2006 legacy gt, before i did i had a vf52 in it. I cant tell the difference by looking at it if he put the stock turbo from the new engine or if he put the vf52 in it, is there any way i can tell the difference by just looking under the hood ?

If you get crafty with a mirror, you can probably see the product stamp on the turbo. Or you can drop the downpipe and look a the hot side housing. What "new" engine did you get? New engines don't come with turbos...

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

vf52 has little dents on it. Also their is an embossed rectangle region that should have the model engraved on it.

This thread has pictures so you can compare. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pictures-vf52-next-vf40-99997.html

It would be odd if your mechanic stole the vf52. They are not worth a whole lot on the used market.

Did the mechanic know you had a vf52 on there? What leads you to believe the the vf52 is not on the car?

Arrows may help with turbo on the car.

The dent as said above, location of words "TURBO" and the 90* angle of the nipple off the actuator

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/5bfd8bb5-9ff2-47f9-881e-6f9cd66db5ec_zps2heavrcz.jpg~original

Here is the arm of the actuator and how it's on a horizontal plain and crosses over the top of the turbo exhaust housing.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/5f488d9d-9cd6-4f11-8fee-3c7ec2d3418b_zpsplp12doc.jpg~original

Yeah not to be a jerk but how did you a. Know there was a vf52 on there and b. Detect that it might not be there now after the new engine.

Easiest way is to check your turbo is the embossed lettering on the compressor housing to validate what type of turbo is in there. Hope everything works out for you!

If you get crafty with a mirror, you can probably see the product stamp on the turbo. Or you can drop the downpipe and look a the hot side housing. What "new" engine did you get? New engines don't come with turbos...

Forgot to include this pic. 11 blades on the exhaust side for the 52

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/2B8D7444-B1D6-465E-BFD5-D6BC544DEEAF_zpserxroc2u.jpg~original

Yeah not to be a jerk but how did you a. Know there was a vf52 on there and b. Detect that it might not be there now after the new engine.

Easiest way is to check your turbo is the embossed lettering on the compressor housing to validate what type of turbo is in there. Hope everything works out for you!

Sounds like he had swapped turbos w/o checking to see if the original didn't do damage to the engine. Reason I have a 46 vs 52 pic instead of 40 vs 52 as I just tossed a new one on and assumed life was good.

If the shop believed the 52 was contaminated, I would hope they have tried to contact him to say "we don't feel comfortable tossing it back on and couldn't find a legit 52 locally".

I've seen quite a few eBay engines with turbo still attached for like $5K and "not tested if ran before pulled" in the fine print. That was my original goal when mine went but all these engines had 200K miles on them when I was in the market.

The data plates are kinda hidden when installed, the dent is possibly the most easiest way to quickly identify.

OP, when you tossed on a 52 prior to engine failure, did you tune for it?

Another thing to consider, does the op's mechanic even know or realize there is a difference between the two turbos? The turbo may have never been swapped under the belief that they were the same or interchangeable.

I would hope not if he was actually tuned with a 52.

I would hope not if he was actually tuned with a 52.

You assume that whoever put the engine in for him actually knows something about a Subaru, and actually cares. I can just about guarantee that the average mechanic around here doesn't give a rip about them, a motor swap is just another job to them and if it functions when it leaves it's good. :)

Yeah this doesn't sound like "stole"; it sounds like he looked up what turbo a 2006 legacy gt needed and installed it. There is danger in putting a turbo from a failed engine into a new engine, so he was likely doing his job correctly. Did you specify that you wanted the turbo swapped over?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You assume that whoever put the engine in for him actually knows something about a Subaru, and actually cares. I can just about guarantee that the average mechanic around here doesn't give a rip about them, a motor swap is just another job to them and if it functions when it leaves it's good. :)

That's part of my issue of why I'm sitting here no running car. My expert Subaru builder wanted to reuse like 97% of the blown engine which is how I already got myself into this mess.

Yeah this doesn't sound like "stole"; it sounds like he looked up what turbo a 2006 legacy gt needed and installed it. There is danger in putting a turbo from a failed engine into a new engine, so he was likely doing his job correctly. Did you specify that you wanted the turbo swapped over?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reason I sent off my 2nd turbo I had on a blown engine as well as the 3rd turbo I got from an unknown engine off to JmP. I would have printed out my mods list for the shop, if they remotely saw a downpipe then assumed tuned or ask questions of the owner. 40 and 52 kinda sort look alike where the 40 and 46 are not.

How about you just ask the guy if he swapped the turbo? If I was asked to put a new engine in I'd likely keep whatever turbo came with the new engine.

In fact, depending on what killed the old engine, he may have done you a favor by not reinstalling the same turbo. Do you know it was in good condition and was not about to dump bearing gunk into your new engine?

To me, the thought of keeping the old turbo on a failed subaru engine is really scary. It'd have to be inspected at least, maybe a new center rotating assembly.

How about you just ask the guy if he swapped the turbo? If I was asked to put a new engine in I'd likely keep whatever turbo came with the new engine.

Simple is overlooked most of the times. Critical for life of engine if tuned for a 52 and driving for a bit on a 40/46

In fact, depending on what killed the old engine, he may have done you a favor by not reinstalling the same turbo. Do you know it was in good condition and was not about to dump bearing gunk into your new engine?

To me, the thought of keeping the old turbo on a failed subaru engine is really scary. It'd have to be inspected at least, maybe a new center rotating assembly.

My justifications for JmP. I already didn't trust this turbo so I went on a 52 hunt and shipped them both off.

Archived