LegacyGT.com

Clutch and Flywheel

I'm getting a new clutch and flywheel really soon, here's what I have in mind:

Clutch: http://store.revolutionsperformance.com/competition-clutch/competition-clutch-stage-1-gravity-series-2400-clutch-kit/150042400/i-152244.aspx

The notes for this says Wagon, is there any reason it won't fit the BD sedan also?

And Flywheel: http://store.revolutionsperformance.com/competition-clutch/competition-clutch-flywheel-forged-ultra-lightweight-steel-flywheel/2738stu/i-156109.aspx

I'm aware of the negative effects of a lightweight flywheel, so can you tell me how extreme the difference will be? I'm not sure what the stock flywheel weighs. Also, how good is this "Competition Clutch" brand? I chose them because they were relatively cheap, and I read some good reviews of their products for Honda vehicles, just never saw anything about them for this application.

I should be ordering these within two or three days, and any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

A clutch is a clutch is a clutch. Subaru 5 spd is about all you need to worry about. Wagon/sedan are identical. Different years probably are different though... (i don't actually know) Also, exedy clutches are nice, they are used as the OEM clutches for JDM STi's and GTB's/RSB's of your model year. Very nice clutches, firm, but not excessive, and fairly inexpensive (what i was using in my GTB (98, twin turbo)).

Flywheel wise, i was about to put one in, but have run out of money so need to sell it again... A mate of mine who has one says it's very different. He lives down a very long steep drive, and he has GREAT difficulty with it. But the car is so rev happy it makes up for it. stock flywheel is between 10 and 15kg where the lightweight was 4.5kg, i can weigh my stock one tomorrow if you want (it's still out of the car). Don't know if yours would be the same weight, seeing as mines from a GTB (it seemed damn heavy!).

I'm aware of the negative effects of a lightweight flywheel, so can you tell me how extreme the difference will be?

I guess im sortof a newb - i am only a highschooler.

what are the negative effects of having a lightweight flywheel?

well the flywheel adds weight to the rotation mas fo the engine, giving it inertia. the less inertia you have the more power you need to add in to get the car going from a stop. having a very very light flywheel will make starting on a hill alittle more difficult because you have to slip the clutch more and add more revs to get the car moving. also the revs drop off quicker when shifing so you have to shift faster to be smooth. There is a definite learing curve with a LWFW but any seasoned stick driver should not have any issues.

14lbs is probably the lightest I would go on an relatively stock engine. (which is what I have...ACT street flywheel/ACT clutch combo).

It may take a little to get used to, but lw flywheel is probably one of the best mods you can do to an na subaru - it wakes up the car, as a guy I know used to say...

Archived