LegacyGT.com

Coming soon...

Here is the deal.

I haven't been around recently but during my time here, I demonstrated that an EJ22E with EJ25D heads can run hard & reliably if assembled correctly, which can obviously be done.

My next attempt at the DOHC EJ22 formula will go a step further & add turbocharging. I have a choice between using EJ20G heads or using EJ20R heads & I must choose very soon which of them I get.

Both 20Gs & 20Rs are stupid cheap to get for me right now, which leads down to personal preference for the heads. 20R heads are the same as 20K heads, which are capable of revving as high as 9000rpm. Blocks are open deck.

20Gs seem to be more reliable than 20Ks but aren't really pushed as hard as 20Ks seem to be. Redline seems to be closer to that of the 25D (7k). Some of them come with open deck & others are closed.

Neither block will be used if they are chosen. I sell sell the block immediately upon dismantling as I am going to stick with the tried & true DOHC EJ22 conversion (this one will be my 3rd) & build the block up.

The reason I am going with the 22E or T block is simple. Reliability. These EJ22s can withstand a good beating. And when I say good, I mean months of hilly driving & near redline hits without the slightest hint of quitting.

They also have the same stroke as the EJ20s do, so that means higher peak revs safely than the EJ25. 20% displacement up from the EJ20 is also a plus. I have personally watching built DOHC EJ22s on the track being TQ monsters.

Knowing all of the above, which set of heads would you pick for the EJ22, 20G or 20K/R, & why?

Go with the 20R heads. Some of the extra flow capabilty is from the STi camshafts, but they are a better platform to start with. My buddy just tuned his factory spec JDM S202 bugeye STi to the tune of roughly 360 WHP/WTQ

If you can find a JDM ECU and fully built heads, you have the added benefit of AVCS

any build not on a 22T block is lame,

:)

Truth. But I already have the 22E block plus it has the advantages of better cooling than the 22T block, not to mention having the same crank as the 22T as well as VERY similar forged rods. The rods & pistons will be replaced though.

The my total consensus is leaning towards the 20K heads but if it were for an entire engine, the 20G would easily win out. Since I want those high rpms & exotic heads, then the choice leans towards the 20K heads.

Also, a 22E block has plenty going for it, 20% displacement up from the 20K for one, super tough open deck block for another. I may have to get the heads properly chambered though.

The 20K heads, aside from having sodium-filled exhaust valves, aggressive camshafts, & plumbing for the turbocharger, are really exactly like the 25D heads. In fact, if I installed 20K parts in 25D heads, I will effectively make N/A 20K heads.

The same cannot be done with the 20G, which are more like the 25D heads of 1996. The possibility of my engine spinning at 9k rpm is simply exciting. While I have the heads off, I am going to see if I can modify them in some way.

I'd try the 22e over the 22T since they are so cheap and easy to find and as far as I know the exact same rods as the 22T. The 22t has thicker sleeves and squirters but whatever.

As far as chambering the heads, yeah if you want to spend the $400-500 to get it done go for it. It will give you peace of mind and open up some extra power but not necessary. Take that with a grain of salt since all my experience on that subject equals nothing. All I know about this is reading pissing matches on NASIOC. Also I bought my 205 heads from a guy who was running them on a 257 with no chambering and was making mad power.

I wanted to run the 25D heads for my build but I opted to go for the 205 heads so I could run them with a 205 ecu.

A 20G/22 hybrid is a great way to go. Just keep in mind you will probably need the 20g hard coolant lines, etc. Check out this thread if you haven't done so: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=38247

Shimless buckets on 205 heads will allow higher revs. The only reason I am going with my 22T build is because I already have the block and because it is cool. Other than that I am all for using a 22e.

Ahhhh it sounded like you were leaning towards 20R over the 20K heads for some reason...

If you can, I'd always go 20K over everything. Those were what I was talking about when I mentioned head flow and power.

20R heads are exactly the same as 20K heads. The only thing that is different between the 2 is that they are set up for twin turbo instead of single turbo.

If you were to plug up the right head, you will effectively have a set of 20K heads. Even the camshafts, valves, & valve springs are exactly the same.

I am researching (very heavily) on the 20G vs 20K/R & the 20G wins out every single time but in the area of block strength, not head flow.

Head flow & max rpms are what I want, not the block, so when I get the longblock, I am getting rid of the shortblock immediately.

If someone could build it up, I have no doubt that the 20R block will mean serious business & produce big power reliably.

One hybrid to mention though is that 20K/R head - 20G block hybrid (closed deck) has been reported to have even MORE strength than the 22T!

I DO have the capability to build such a hybrid but at the moment, I am sticking with the DOHC EJ22 formula because it works & because I already have a 22E block, which has been super tough internally w/25D heads.

Plus, 20Rs are dirt cheap compared to the 20K, which pans out perfectly because aside from the twin turbo setup, they are exactly the same engine.

Archived