LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Shock Sensor

sdgarber

My new Legacy GT came equipped from the factory with the perimeter security upgrade. Yet when the system is "armed" I have not been able to set it off by nudging or tapping the car body. Even rocking the car did not trigger the alarm. Can anyone please tell me just how sensitive (or insensitive) this system is? I welcome your comments & suggestions. 8)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah it 'should' be. But in reality, the dealers hardly even know how to properly enable the upgrade, let alone tweak it. I already taken my car to Shingle Springs and Santa Cruz Subaru to no good results. This whole oem alarm business is a joke.

Just another question maybe. I activated my alarm then opened the door with the valet key yet the alarm didn't go off. In my wrx if I armed it then opened the door without disarming it the alarm would sound. The light blinks twice quickly every couple seconds so I think its working right. Any ideas?

I too could not set off the accessory added 'shock sensor' (installed at factory) after I purchased the car. I took it back in yesterday, and after a comical experience where they 1st said I did not have a shock sensor, then, when I told them where it was, they said after a couple hrs it was set from the factory with that sesitivity & they shouldn't alter - but they would as good guys. I guess they have to take passenger seat out. They set it and it now works well. BUT, I called suburu in frustration that the dealer was taking the approach, 'look how good we are, we didn't charge you' and they said it should work off the lot and, it is covered under the 3 yr 36k warrenty. Also, they said it includes 1 free adjustment from dealer. So, I had subaru call the service manager and tell them that.. the Service manager called me back and said subaru doesn't know what they are talking about and that he got his info straight from their Suburu technical line and there is no free adjustment. He said the gal that called me back (and him from 800subaru3) customer service, not technical and they don't know. I left the manager a copy of how the alarm shock sensor should work taken from the Drive magazine site. So we are all good, but still don't know what is the truth. Oh, and the tech said he set the alarm as UNsensitive as possible, yet still have it go off with shock - and it is pretty sensitive - but not overlee so. So tech said it can be adjusted to be much more sensitive if desired.

Geeze! I ordered my perimeter sensor from subaruparts.com after my purchase. I have the module and was going to install in in the passenger seat, but after my experiences getting my airbags replaced (recall) and my drivers headrest replaced (warranty) I am not optimistic that either of the two dealerships that I have been dealing with have a clue what's going on. IT is very depressing that the service has been so crummy. The folks at the parts counter say that they haven't even received the parts book yet so we can get part numbers for replacement parts. Sux a mongo anaconda. rimfaxe

Yeah, the alarm sensitivity on my Legacy is too low. Does anybody know where the adjustment knob is located, if not I hope my dealer can help me? I remember the sensitivity was also low from the factory on my RS, but changing that involved a short trip under the dashboard with a flathead screwdriver.

I visited the dealership today to inquire about the apparent lack of functionality of the factory installed perimeter security system. The service manager did not have a clue. He suggested that I address my concern with the salesperson who sold me the car. I did. The salesman told me that he thought that my car was delivered (last Saturday) with the alarm set in "Valet Mode". The salesman accompanied me to my car an proceeded to change the setting on my security system. Upon completion of that process the words "alarm on" appeared on the digital display that usually shows the twin trip odometers. Now the system functions as it should, arming itself ~ 1 minute after locking the car. A moderate fist blow to the tires or base of the windshield does set off the alarm, resulting in horn blasts and flashing lights. OK I'm happy now that I know the system is working. I'm also peaved that the dealership delivered the car with the system in an inactive state. Check your system settings if you suspect your perimeter system is not working as it should.

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='sdgarber']Check your system settings if you suspect your perimeter system is not working as it should.[/quote] How do we do that?[/quote] Indeed, That would be good info to have. people may want to set it to valet mode from time to time, and switch it back to normal...

Activating and deactivating the alarm. Deactivate is also the valet mode. Activate or Deactivate the alarm. 1. Sit in the driver's seat and shut all doors and rear gate etc 2. Cycle the ignition switch from LOCK to ON three times within 10 seconds, finally placing it in the ON position. 3. Within 10 seconds open the driver's door and then close it. The current setting will be displayed on the odometer/trip meter screen. 4. Within 10 seconds operate the driver's door locking switch as follows: To deactivate, or set 'valet' mode: Move the door panel locking switch to the unlock position (toward the rear) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL OF' To activate: Move the door panel locking switch to the lock position (toward the front) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL ON'. When the setting has been changed, a buzzer will sound and the odometer/trip meter screen will display the new setting. :D

[quote name='sdgarber']Activating and deactivating the alarm. Deactivate is also the valet mode. Activate or Deactivate the alarm. 1. Sit in the driver's seat and shut all doors and rear gate etc 2. Cycle the ignition switch from LOCK to ON three times within 10 seconds, finally placing it in the ON position. 3. Within 10 seconds open the driver's door and then close it. The current setting will be displayed on the odometer/trip meter screen. 4. Within 10 seconds operate the driver's door locking switch as follows: To deactivate, or set 'valet' mode: Move the door panel locking switch to the unlock position (toward the rear) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL OF' To activate: Move the door panel locking switch to the lock position (toward the front) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL ON'. When the setting has been changed, a buzzer will sound and the odometer/trip meter screen will display the new setting. :D[/quote] I knew playing all those videogames would be usefull someday........

[quote name='GranTourer']Yeah, the alarm sensitivity on my Legacy is too low. Does anybody know where the adjustment knob is located, if not I hope my dealer can help me? I remember the sensitivity was also low from the factory on my RS, but changing that involved a short trip under the dashboard with a flathead screwdriver.[/quote] Anyone know how to update the alarm sensitivity. Mine also seems too low.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='GranTourer']Yeah, the alarm sensitivity on my Legacy is too low. Does anybody know where the adjustment knob is located, if not I hope my dealer can help me? I remember the sensitivity was also low from the factory on my RS, but changing that involved a short trip under the dashboard with a flathead screwdriver.[/quote] Anyone know how to update the alarm sensitivity. Mine also seems too low.[/quote] me too.. I'm wondering if they even gave me the security upgrade

Something is definately not right. I checked the activation of the alarm through the above mentioned method, and it does say "alarm activated". 5 minutes after alarming the car, I proceeded to kick the tires, knock on the glass, and open the door handles...nothing happened. Also, while adding a subwoofer to the car, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery did not set off the alarm (doing that ALWAYS set the alarm off in my 2.5RS). Just another issue to get checked out while Subaru does my first service at no cost.

In the Legacy GT you can check the status of the security system settings (activated or inactive) by pressing the trip odometer button repeatedly when ignition is off. After one press, the gas gauge and odometer will activate and light up. A second press will display a readout of the security system settings on the odometer display. The alarm system in my Legacy GT does function correctly when it is activated. A blow to the car will set off the horn and lights. But my car was delivered with the system in the "inactive" or valet mode. I suspect that my car is not the only Legacy GT that was delivered with the security system in the "inactive" mode. Check your system status if you suspect your system is not working. It may just need to be activated. Also once the system is activated, the perimeter security mode still will not engage until at least 30 seconds after you have locked the car with either the power door lock switch or with the remote. I hope this is helpful. 8)

sdgarber, Thank you. Your instructions earlier on checking whether the alarm is set for active or inactive/valet are very useful. Hopefully, anyone else who is concerned about their alarm will check this first and then take it from there. In my condition, it was displayed as active and I waited ~5 minutes after alarming the car before trying to trip it, but to no success.

Archived