LegacyGT.com

Affected vin#'s

I_Am_Mike

First post here, and it should be a simple one. I put a deposit down on an '09 LGT and finalize and pick her up on Saturday. I just found this forum and noticed some references to the Stop Sale and the affected VIN#'s. For the '09 LGT, it indicates that it affects "222958 or later". Just want to be clear that this means that the last 6 numbers of the VIN and any increasing number are the ones affected? I don't have access to the car to see the build date, but my VIN is 213159. Am I correct that this number is "prior" and not affected by the engine issues that prompted the Stop Sale?

Thanks, and please no "search is your friend" flames. I tried for an hour to search and couldn't find the answer. On the other hand, I can't wait to pick up my car and start enjoying. This is my first Subie and I really enjoyed the test drive.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help a newb....

Hey, congrats on the new car! You'll love it. I don't want to burst your bubble, but my car was before the stop sale as well, and I had a rod bearing go. Here's the thread...my saga starts on page 3.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/early-engine-failure-08-2-5ti-129284p3.html

Is there anything remaining of the original warranty, or did you purchase an extended one by any chance?

Hey, congrats on the new car! You'll love it. I don't want to burst your bubble, but my car was before the stop sale as well, and I had a rod bearing go. Here's the thread...my saga starts on page 3.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/early-engine-failure-08-2-5ti-129284p3.html

Is there anything remaining of the original warranty, or did you purchase an extended one by any chance?

Thanks. Sorry to read about your troubles but it sounds like it had a happy ending. I was SO excited about picking my car up this Saturday until I read all this. Now I don't know what I should feel or whether I should leave my deposit and split. The car has another 5500 miles and/or 10months on the standard factory warranty and since it's a CPO, there is already a 6yr/100k warranty on the powertrain. I was still considering one of the Added Security plans just for the extra peace of mind and to hopefully increase the resale value if I decide to sell it before the warranty is up.

This is the first Subaru and first forced induction car I've ever owned and was hoping to do some light to moderate mods but now I'm not so sure. I enjoyed personalizing my RSX but never worried about conflicts with warrantys, even with a reflashed ECU. Based on some of the threads I've read (in my limited time on this site), I may have to consider the possibility of keeping it stock in case the engine decides to S the bed on me.

Someone talk me off the ledge.....

dont worry too much. if you bought or they sold u a stop sale model the dealer would still have to fix it even tho the warranty is up...

based on my limited understanding of the VIN numbers, I appear to be outside of the VINs but apparently that may not matter. I'm sitting here trying to decide whether I should really finalize this deal and probably eat the deposit or roll the dice....

Most of the failures happened with <20k miles, and it sounds like the car is safely passed that point. I personally have a 2009 LGT that was before the stop sale VIN range. I'm at 19k miles with no problems.

Ultimately, its your call. One thing to remember about the internet is that only people who have problems tend to post about it.

Well, I'd say buy the car, you'll love it. I still love mine. Couple questions on that 6yr/100k warranty. Is it 6yrs from the original owner purchase date, or 6 yr from when you buy it? Also, is there a deductible? A couple of negotiating points for you would be to increase the time of the warranty, and a lower deductible. I didn't mean to scare you off from the car, I just wanted to make sure that you were informed that the stop sale cars didn't catch all of the failures, and that there were some before the VIN range. Now, my experience has definitely kept me from doing any aftermarket modifications to the car, and you know what, I'm ok with it (I think you will be too). This car has plenty of power to still have some fun in, but it's also very comfortable to drive in. My previous car was an SRT-4, I had that thing modified, and basically just got sick of it. Yes, it was faster, but after a 2 hour drive I had a headache from the exhaust drone. Well, I wish you the best of luck. Post up some pictures if you end up buying it. Good luck!

Well, I'd say buy the car, you'll love it. I still love mine. Couple questions on that 6yr/100k warranty. Is it 6yrs from the original owner purchase date, or 6 yr from when you buy it? Also, is there a deductible? A couple of negotiating points for you would be to increase the time of the warranty, and a lower deductible. I didn't mean to scare you off from the car, I just wanted to make sure that you were informed that the stop sale cars didn't catch all of the failures, and that there were some before the VIN range. Now, my experience has definitely kept me from doing any aftermarket modifications to the car, and you know what, I'm ok with it (I think you will be too). This car has plenty of power to still have some fun in, but it's also very comfortable to drive in. My previous car was an SRT-4, I had that thing modified, and basically just got sick of it. Yes, it was faster, but after a 2 hour drive I had a headache from the exhaust drone. Well, I wish you the best of luck. Post up some pictures if you end up buying it. Good luck!

no worries about scaring me off. it's all part of the due diligence though i probably put myself in more of a panic than i needed to after reading all the bad news. but when i rationalize everything, i think i'm taking the precautions to minimize my financial risk. i did move forward with the purchase and picked her up on saturday. i don't think the smile has left my face yet!

presuming i've got the facts straight, the normal factory warranty is valid until 9/15/11 (3 yrs from original in service date) or another 5500miles, while the standard powertrain warranty would be for three more years on top of that or 100k miles. i purchased the gold added security plan w a $50 deductible for added peace of mind and to hopefully increase the resale value and marketability. based on some research the numbers from the dealer were real good ($760) and can be rolled into the finance. that covers me until 2014 or 100k.

i couldn't be more stoked about the whole driving experience. on running errands on sunday i skipped several exits just to do more driving. i think you may be correct that the car provides sufficient power to keep me smiling, without the drawbacks you mentioned. and i find the audio system one of the best stock that i've heard. had one of the pearl jam shows from the spectrum last year blasting, enjoying the concert experience all over again.

anyway, i'll post some pics when i can. thanks to everyone for all the advice and i'm happy to be part of the community.

Archived