LegacyGT.com

Underdog Motorsports - 2015 STI Steering Rack Swap

Underdog

I highly recommend a PS fluid cooler if you're doing anything that puts more stress on the pump. Even increased caster can be enough to overheat the fluid.

Agreed. This is why I run Motul Dexron III fluid and plan on adding the '05 LGT cooler to the return line. Nice little factory upgrade there but probably not enough for a car that is being used in competition.

So what's the difference between that and the STI rack? I see they are about the same price?

I assume that also (like the quick-racks) doesn't really work with VDC?

Agreed. This is why I run Motul Dexron III fluid and plan on adding the '05 LGT cooler to the return line. Nice little factory upgrade there but probably not enough for a car that is being used in competition.

Honestly, the little stock cooler they put at the shock tower... it does ****-all. I know a lot of GRB owners who thought that 'cooler' was enough and ended up trashing the PS pump anyway. Just go to an aftermarket cooler actually in some air flow.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That is not a valid P/N in my SOA part ordering system. You may want to post in the regional forum for your area, as this forum is predominantly USA-based members.

Thanks for checking. I primarily wanted USA-based members to check, as the pricing locally is ridiculous! Strange the number doesn't come up, in the UK all the codes come up on the parts system for each region.

Unfortunately the price in the UK for the RHD rack is £650/$1000! Best I can get is 10% off that. Looks like I won't be rushing into this one, unless I find one being broken up for parts.

Anyone feel like getting a price quote for the rack in your region? Part number is 34110VA100..

The RHD VA rack is au$1400 delivered to Australia via Japanparts or Subaru Japan.

I'll get a local quote using that p/n but it's likely to be higher.

I guess volume keeps the USDM price down.

I'm no expert :) but uh why wouldn't they be for daily use ? I had mine in for 3 yrs....daily..and not more expensive either.. I'm neutral on either rack or quickener.. The rack will feel oem, where as the quickener ( at least mine was) made the steering heavier ( which I liked) also the quickener had about 3mm of play when the wheel was straight. Annoying for the first 5 min then u forgot it was there.

Few people are that forgiving of steering slop

IME.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm ADM RHD GT spec B with a 3.1 turn stock rack and finally have a used GRB 34110FG010 on its way from Japan.

It will be installed along with a single loop OEM PS cooler that was removed from an MY06 H6 spec B.

Once that's done I'll get a local rack shop to see if the guts of an FE550 fit into the 3.1 rack.

They share the same seal/rebuild kit. :)

They felt reasonably compliant like the LGT OEM bushings. The WL KSR207 bushings seem less compliant but this is strictly by feel. That being said the upgraded bushings are definitely a diminishing return on the overall upgrade.

Given that, do you think it's worth upgrading the bushings?

You think you're better off diving on the OE bushing for a while, or better off swapping them out before it goes on the car?

Tough to say. I would say there is a tangible improvement but it is minor. The work is more easily done with the rack on the ground, but it isn't that difficult on-car either (hardest part is that the large round bushing is double-stick taped to the rack, so removing can be a pain). They aren't very expensive. You need to come to your own conclusion with that info. I would say the money should go towards tires/shocks/sways/LCA bushings, in that order, and then to the rack, misc. pieces (bushings/Cusco brace/STI u-joint) and a good alignment. You will appreciate the quick rack much more with everything else in place rather than doing the rack first and revealing suspension inadequacies.

Given that, do you think it's worth upgrading the bushings?

You think you're better off diving on the OE bushing for a while, or better off swapping them out before it goes on the car?

I upgraded mine in the Outback (which has a slower rack than the LegacyGT)

- Basically my thoughts are, At lower speeds (less than 40) it didn't make a huge difference.

- at higher speeds it makes a small but noticeable improvement. It's one of those pieces that I essentially see as why not do it if the rack is off. It all helps.

Thanks for the input.

I'm just trying to economize my time and package complimentary updates while I am in there. I already ordered the rack as my original is leaking pretty badly. I'm also upgrading the sways and some drive-train mounts to tight up the suspension further. might throw in my STI master cylinder to help with my mushy brakes as well.

It sounds like the LGT u-joint fits the this rack, but I also have a '07 STI u-joint.

Any idea if an older STI u-joint will fit the '15 rack?

Does the '05 u-joint w/damper add to the setup at all... ie. lessening some NVH, and therefore making for a more "comfortable" drive?

OR...

Is the STI u-joint a better compliment to the rack altogether, but the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost at $150+?

Edited by pdx_lgt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...