LegacyGT.com

(TPMS question) 2013 brz wheels on a 2010 legacy

Jdubya

Need some help with the TPMS on a set of BRZ wheels I just installed on my Legacy. I researched and found out that the BRZ sensors were at 315MHz (same as Legacy) so I thought I was all set. Had new rubber put on the wheels and asked the tire guy (at Firestone) to make sure my car was "programmed" to read these new sensors.

Got in my car and the light was blinking. Took it back the next day and had another mechanic take a look. After entering in 2010 Legacy into his handheld, he walked around the car and none registered on his device. When he put in 2013 BRZ, they all registered on his device. I'm not sure what tool he used. He offered to "reprogram" my TPMS receiver to think it was a 2013 BRZ, but I declined. I didn't want him to do this if he wasn't sure it would work so I left and called the local Subaru dealer. They haven't gotten back to me in a few days so I thought I would check here.

Is it possible for my 2010 Legacy to "see" the 2013 sensors with some sort of reprogramming? What should I tell the guy at Firestone?

Thanks!

You need to have the module in the car programmed to recognize the sensor ID's but seeing how when he put in 2010 legacy in his tool and it didn't find any of the sensors in the tires but when he set it to 2013 BRZ it found them; well that leads me to believe the sensors in the tires regardless of what ID's get programmed to the cars ECU and the 315MHz transmission, they will not be able to be read by the module in the car.

Looking online at RockAuto, all of the direct fit sensors listed on the BRZ are only compatible with the BRZ 13-14... And that's probably because the BRZ is really a Toyota at heart.

Your best bet is swapping your old sensors into the new rims... it will be guaranteed to work, and if that's not an option spend 32 or 45 each for new sensors from RockAuto for your application and have those installed and programmed to the car.

TPMS is a bitch but you just need to research some fitment stuff before going forward and it will usually work out.

Archived