LegacyGT.com

Inexpensive light-weight Leg GT rotors?

eikon

Hey Legacy owners.. I could use some advice. I've searched the forum and have not had much luck thus far.

I recently put together a frankenstein budget big brake kit for my Subaru BRZ. I used Nissan Z32 calipers, KNS Brackets and Leg GT rotors.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-300zx-brake-upgrade-for-frs-brz.html

It's a great setup.. I'm very happy with the results. The only knock on this kit is the increase in weight from the big legacy gt front rotors (22 lbs each) vs. the stock BRZ rotors (17 lbs each). The cooling capacity and lighter calipers offer significant benefit, but the extra weight is still bothering me.

So, I'm wondering what options might be out there for lighter 316mm by 30mm 5x100 rotors.

I found the DBA 5000 series. They seem to run about $300 per rotor (making the rotors cost more than the rest of my budget build). Still for 2-piece rotors they seem pretty reasonably priced. I can't find a weight on these. I assume somewhere in the 16 to 17 lb range?

I found a couple threads on some ION 2-piece rotors. But, these threads are a few years old and I can't seem to find any available for sale today. Perhaps my google-fu is weak today?

Are there any other options that you folks know of that are reasonable? Does Wilwood make a Legacy GT rotor? Any others?

Thanks a ton!

I would give Porterfield Brakes a call - I'm sure they can provide options for light weight rotors.... You can also call KNS-Brakes as well.

But I expect you're searching for a white Unicorn - in that you're asking to get more mass/size but no added weight and I'm not sure that's possible without spending $$ on lighter weight material.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Legacy owners.. I could use some advice. I've searched the forum and have not had much luck thus far.

I recently put together a frankenstein budget big brake kit for my Subaru BRZ. I used Nissan Z32 calipers, KNS Brackets and Leg GT rotors.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-300zx-brake-upgrade-for-frs-brz.html

It's a great setup.. I'm very happy with the results. The only knock on this kit is the increase in weight from the big legacy gt front rotors (22 lbs each) vs. the stock BRZ rotors (17 lbs each). The cooling capacity and lighter calipers offer significant benefit, but the extra weight is still bothering me.

So, I'm wondering what options might be out there for lighter 316mm by 30mm 5x100 rotors.

I found the DBA 5000 series. They seem to run about $300 per rotor (making the rotors cost more than the rest of my budget build). Still for 2-piece rotors they seem pretty reasonably priced. I can't find a weight on these. I assume somewhere in the 16 to 17 lb range?

I found a couple threads on some ION 2-piece rotors. But, these threads are a few years old and I can't seem to find any available for sale today. Perhaps my google-fu is weak today?

Are there any other options that you folks know of that are reasonable? Does Wilwood make a Legacy GT rotor? Any others?

Thanks a ton!

Racing Brake 1 Piece Rotors are only 17 lbs and about 300 dollars for a pair but the same size as stock.

Racing Brake 1 Piece Rotors are only 17 lbs and about 300 dollars for a pair but the same size as stock.

really? Legacy GT 1 piece Racing Brake rotors are 17 lbs? That would be great.

I'd rock 1 piece if they are that light... and $300 is reasonable for a pair.

I'll check this out.

*Edit.. Checked it out..

http://www.racingbrake.com/LEGACY-2-5-GT-spec-B-FRONT-05-09-p/9013-381.htm

You are dead on.. $294 and weighs 17.2 lbs.. basically the same as the smaller BRZ OEM rotor.

Well done sir!

Thanks for the input!

I would question 2 things about racing brake rotors...

1) material used may not be as strong, or the connecting points may be fewer or weaker

2) flat out not being 17 lbs.

I could be wrong but question it...

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I always thought that rotors were the last place you would look to cut weight. Rotors are heavy so that they can absorb heat without deforming.

Yup. Plus the LGT rotors already like to crack a bit on the track. I'd hate to see what lighter does.

Get lighter wheels instead.

Also as a followup since we have our project BRZ, and are running stock calipers and rotors, what kind of racing are you doing? What power numbers are you putting down?

Probably overkill unless you are on the bleeding edge of racing.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived