LegacyGT.com

hawk hps or ebc green?

jakeh9890

i have a 05 lgt and shes gonna need brakes soon. im looking at either hawk hps or ebc green stuff but im open to suggestions. i dont track my car its mostly street stuff. i do some high speed but not a ton so im just looking for somthing thats good for hard street driving that works good in low and moderate temps

my main concern is that I live in the country and normally if I have to break fast its after I've been driving without using the break so they're cold and then a deer jumps out in front of me and I have to stop fast so I'm looking for something that's made for cold breaking that wont fade when i do get in the twisties

I think you're over thinking it. None of these are track pads that won't work cold.

My reds grab just fine without any heating up. I'm sure the greens and hps do as well. I had hps on before the reds and I like the reds better. Not necessarily for initial bite, but more for quietness and less dust. Any difference in initial bite is going to be negligible amongst these pads. Just my opinion.

I've had experience with HPS and EBC yellowstuff. The yellows were far and above superior to the HPS in every way. I've been disappointed with HPS both in stock calipers and Brembos. The yellows had great initial bite (cold), and very good fade resistance for what they are. No experience with red or green though. Dust wise they both seemed pretty similar, maybe with the HPS making a bit more.

I've had experience with HPS and EBC yellowstuff. The yellows were far and above superior to the HPS in every way. I've been disappointed with HPS both in stock calipers and Brembos. The yellows had great initial bite (cold), and very good fade resistance for what they are. No experience with red or green though. Dust wise they both seemed pretty similar, maybe with the HPS making a bit more.

Arent yellows for track use?

No, the blue and orange are really their track pads. The yellow can handle some mild track abuse, as they take heat pretty well, but they also have really good cold bite for the street. They do not need to be heated up to work really well.

I have Hawk HPS for about 400-/+ miles and are a world of difference from OEM/stock pads. Love them!
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

I have Hawks on my Subarus & EBC on my Camaro - I prefer the feel of the EBCs - but they both have good stopping power (Cold and Heated) - But I do see less dust on the EBCs (Although I do have Older Greens - which from what I understand is similar to the current Reds)

EBC lists that the Reds as the choice for Performance with Low dusting vs. the Yellows being a slight Performance Increase but added Dust:

EBC Brake Comparison Chart

Reading this, when my HPS, (high dusting) wear out on the Spec B I'll be getting EBC reds. BTW, the HPS have good cold bite, also when the Hawk ceramic's wear out on my wagon it will get EBC reds.

Thanks guy's.

Oh if your having the rotors turned, ask that they be re-surfaced on a flywheel cutter, it does a better job, more surface for the pad to bite.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just finished painting the calipers. While pull the pads off the fronts one of the shims fell off, ok, rusted off the back of the inner pad. So I removed the other inner shim as well.

The Hawk ceramic pads feel much better now.

I also replaced both lower slide pins on the front, I've known they were crapped up for a while. I had new pins since sometime a couple years ago, just waiting to find a good time to replace them.

Took my 4 hours, that's using a wire brush wheel on the air tool to remove all the old paint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Recommendations for 2011 Legacy 2.5i?

I have CENTRIC ROTORS (x4)http://www.centricparts.com/products/centric-premium-brake-rotors and STOP TECH Performance Brake Padshttp://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=StopTech&model=Street+Performance+Pads

I am not an expert but from my observations from my switch last year, these perform better than OEM pads but leave a lot of dust. This is my daily driver and I do not do performance street or track driving at all. I can say that after a good wash, my rims will start to look bad after day 4 averaging 40-50 miles a day on 50/50 highway and street driving. This is annoying. After 7-8 days, it looks like I Plasti-dipped my rims...

I would like to get a good brake for spirited driving (non-track) but that:

(1) don't make noise (NO SQUEALING...OBNOXIOUS)

(2) brake well and can support spirited driving, and

(3) don't leave so much brake dust.

Advice? Suggestions...I have read so much and now I feel confused...green stuff, red stuff, yellow stuff.... CAN SOMEONE JUST RECOMMEND ME THE RIGHT STUFF?

This! Never used yellows in winter but they bite instantly and hard. Very good on rotors, almost no fade on the track, only downside >>> dusty as shit!

Archived