LegacyGT.com

Winter Tires

For what conditions? Icy? Wet? other?

I agree. Also, do you want maximum performance in snow and ice? Or are you willing to give up a little bit of snow/ice performance for a tire that handles more like an all season tire?

C'mon its August. Can we not go a few more months before we have to think about the cold and snow :)

I like the altimax for the price. They got my RWD BMW through the snow just fine and the subaru felt like a tank with them. Blizzaks are probably a little better but worth the extra (I think) $100-$150?

I got the new for last year Pirelli Sottozero 3's and ******* loved them last winter. They are capable of driving/plowing through a foot of snow or more with no issue, as tested when I drove to a ski resort last winter in the middle of a two foot, all day and night snowstorm...the only other cars in the parking lot were all 4WD pickups and SUVs, and a few other Subies. You will not ever have to worry about getting stuck with these on your LGT.

The best aspect of them is their dry and wet traction, though. They grip in both wet and dry with nearly the same ability of a lower end summer tire, so you don't sacrifice much performance in the 90% of the winter when snow isn't on the road. They performed really well in TireRack's test, and finished in 1st or 2nd in every other performance winter tire comparison test I could find last fall before pulling the trigger. I'd wager they are second only to the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4's in the winter performance category, and those cost several hundred dollars more.

I have them in 215/50/R17, which I believe is the smallest size they come in.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=181

Archived