LegacyGT.com

EJ25D Heads: Nothing Looks Wrong To Me

I just took the heads off of my EJ25D out of my 98 Legacy Outback Wagon. I suspected that the head gaskets were the problem, after a major overheat/breakdown on the highway. I took some pictures of the heads, block, and gaskets to get everyone's opinion. I know you can't tell just by looking at it, but trust me, it looks totally fine to me.

My next step is to get the heads and block micro'd to make sure they're flush. I don't have a true straight edge or the gauges to slide under it, so I'm just going to have a shop measure them with their tools. Here are the pics:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg341/scaled.php?server=341&filename=hgpics.jpg&res=landing

The top row is the driver's side, bottom row is the passenger's side. First pics are the engine block, where it meets the head. Second pics are the head, where it meets the block. Third pics are the gaskets.

How do they look guys? What should I do?

More info: The head bolts were in tact and seemed to be torqued correctly. When the heads were removed, coolant spilled out. I think the block is coolant-free because there was no coolant on the dipstick (before we drained any fluids in the car).

Wow. Let me try this again.

Dipstick = Oil

Coolant on dipstick = Coolant in oil

I don't want to tear into the block, so I'm relieved that there's no coolant in there.

@JJay03 Radiator cap? I have no clue what that is... lol. I was thinking the thermostat was the problem, but it was "just replaced" by the dealer. It's easier to get to with the engine out anyway... lmao. I was absolutely sure that it ws a gasket problem because it guzzled coolant and had tons of bubbles. Also, I thought I saw oil in my coolant reservoir during the overheating.

So you don't think that the head gaskets are the problem? Would It be visible if they were?

319303_10151044321899844_198191470_n.jpg

558362_10151044321519844_1154437164_n.jpg

580746_10151044321429844_1036511474_n.jpg

548074_10151044320314844_1189433319_n.jpg

Did you smell coolant? Have you checked to make sure that your heater core isn't leaking, or that the heater hose(s) aren't leaking?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I smelled some kind of burnt coolant I think. Everyone tells me I'm crazy, but I was sure it was coolant burning. No, I didn't check the heater. Nothing was leaking though. There was never any fluid under the car that I saw.

I'm not sure which one's the coolant passages are.

BTW, these aren't the stock gasket's right? The composite one's that everyone hates?

Every time I smell it, the first thing that pops into me head is "fuel" but it's not distinct enough. It smells kind of like sulfur too, but again, it's not a smell that I can point out right away. There's black residue in the coolant overflow, and when the engine overheated, it started burping and purging the coolant. It even shot out the top of the radiator when I had the cap off and started it.

Coolant would be in the car under the carpet if the core were leaking and the HVAC drain was backed up. If the heater hose(s) were leaking, would likely be while you were driving, so they would drip while under way, but might not drip while your parked. Depending on how much fluid you're losing, how quickly, hard to tell, but the heads/gaskets look reasonably good.

Someone mentioned a warped head, but again, no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant, again, hard to tell and it's impossible to do a leakdown test with it all apart.

Hope you find out what's going on. At this point it looks like :iam:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• I Donated

Here is another example of a failed gasket.

See how the black coating is chipping away?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:97_-_99_Subaru_Head_Gasket_Failure.jpg

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Check your mating surfaces for square, clean the residual gasket material off, and slap it back together? It seems like you had a very small leak. The first gasket could have been leaking a small amount into the combustion chamber, hence the burning coolant smell. If there is anything I've learned over the years, it is that a little bit of oil/coolant/engine fluid makes a lot of smoke/smell.

I don't think you're crazy. I had a similar looking gasket on my bro's '05 LGT. The head gasket was suspect and turbo oil seal a higher suspect, but we did them both (probably should have done a leakdown first...). Runs great now and no oil in coolant.

If it were leaking a small amount, would it suddenly overheat and impair the vehicle? I'm sure the car overheating triggered some kind of alarm that killed the starter, but would it do that on a highway drive as I mentioned?

When you burn coolant, there are 2 key things to look for. The exhaust always comes out white, because its steaming. The second is that it will smell sweet. If you're loosing coolant, and don't see it dripping anywhere under your car when you park in a clean/dry parking spot, then it has to be going somewhere right!?

Your pics show some greasyness on your valves. Are you adding a lot of additives? perhaps thats where the fluid is going. If your rings are good, then you won't notice any coolant in the oil, as the leaking coolant is just going straight out the valves, thru the hot exhaust and evaporating it. You should notice an extreme amount of water coming thru the exhause at start-up.

Did you do a compression test before you tore apart the engine? Always a first step! What about the timing? You need to verify things are right before you go and tear apart the block. I do agree, that head gasket looks F'd! Take the heads in, get them checked. No point putting them back on if there's a chance they're warped..

Cheers:bbq:

Archived