LegacyGT.com

speaker size questions?

quick4dr

I just used the standard spacers you can find anywhere like best buy, local radio shop, etc....
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 2 weeks later...
You definitely need spacers. I've put JL 6.5 C2s and C3s in (2005 gt, 2007 outback).

If you are very handy you can mod the existing speakers into spacers, but you are probably better off buying the spacers.

I don't think that the OEM speakers have a large enough basket to work with those JL models, which require a mounting diameter that is larger than the cone size of the oem speakers.

OEM cone = 5"

JL mounting diameter = 5.5" and 5.625"

I don't think that the OEM speakers have a large enough basket to work with those JL models, which require a mounting diameter that is larger than the cone size of the oem speakers.

OEM cone = 5"

JL mounting diameter = 5.5" and 5.625"

Yeah, it's not terribly straightforward, but you can do it. Pictures here.

But, as I said, I think buying spacers is a better idea. I didn't know about them on the GT and then was antsy on the outback.

I should also have mentioned that if you want to use the JL components and put the tweeters in the original location, the C2 tweeters drop right into the stock mounts (held in with some hot glue), but you will have to modify the mounts to hold the C3 tweeters.

Yeah, it's not terribly straightforward, but you can do it. Pictures here.

But, as I said, I think buying spacers is a better idea. I didn't know about them on the GT and then was antsy on the outback.

I should also have mentioned that if you want to use the JL components and put the tweeters in the original location, the C2 tweeters drop right into the stock mounts (held in with some hot glue), but you will have to modify the mounts to hold the C3 tweeters.

Not bad work. If your DIY method fails, feel free to drop me a line. :lol:

Archived