LegacyGT.com

I own an '05 Legacy, Foghorn Edition (or my baby is sick)

On my way home from work on Friday, my car started making this abnormally loud hissing noise any time I hit boost. It didn't take long to progress to a loud moaning sound accompanied by hissing, and then finally to that of a turbocharged foghorn. Once it got this point, the car would stumble badly and you could smell unburned gas and something (rubber maybe?) burning or scorching. I could only get it up to 40 or so - any faster and I'd get the hoot of death followed by the car feeling like the engine was choking on its own vomit.

Anyway, I called the dealer (Carter Subaru in Seattle) this morning, who told me that it was normal. "Turbocharged engines make that kind of noise, you know." :rolleyes::mad: :lol:I told them I was coming in anyway, which I did. I scared quite a few people on the way, what with sounding like a distressed fishing boat and going a whopping 35 miles per hour down the freeway. I finally arrived and got a service advisor to go on a ride with me, and as soon as I left the parking lot ... "HISSSSSHHHHP-HOOOOOOOOOOT" *stumble* *stumble* *die*.

"Hm, that's not good. Sounds like an idler pulley went bad, or maybe your drive belt is slipping." OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!1!11!1oneoneoneeleventy

They said that they'd call me on Wednesday, when they get around to looking at it. I can only hope to God that they don't replace a damn drive belt, thinking they'd fixed it, and giving it back to me. This automatic 2.5RS wagon they gave me as a loaner is just about the most gutless piece of crap ever. (However, this afternoon it survived full rally mode up and down a 15-mile-long gravel mountain road at 5000', laden down with 550 pounds of manbeef, 10 rifles, a couple thousand rounds of ammunition, and two large boxes of clay pigeons ... :D:dm::)

Anyway, just had to rant. Any ideas what this might be? My first guess is that maybe the BPV decided to fart out, or some turbo inlet line cracked open or something.

On my way home from work on Friday, my car started making this abnormally loud hissing noise any time I hit boost. It didn't take long to progress to a loud moaning sound accompanied by hissing, and then finally to that of a turbocharged foghorn.

some people spend a lot of money on BOV's to get those noises, and you're complaining? :D

hope the dealer gets it running right again for you. let us know what the problem was......

Translating the above is not an excerise for the faint hearted.

Hmm, I'll take a stab...

If it turns out the root cause is as mwiener2 described, insist that they inspect the uppipe cat and turbo to make sure tehh07c4thA5ntm3l7edj00r7|_|r|30.

make sure "the hot cat hasn't melted your turbo."

and

Ooh yeah, good point, melayout. 3y3 d0|\|+ \/\/4|\|+ +0 63+ 0\/\/|\|23|> 8y +3|-| 84|> +|_||280.

"I don't want to get owned by the bad turbo."

There, how's that? Even got it with a misspelled "0\/\/|\|3|>" (or was it supposed to be "0\/\/|\|Z3|23|>" (ownzered)?

But then, I have a teenage son, so I already got a taste of L337 5P33|<, if it's still called that.

Tim

I personally prefer ext3 fs, reiser is for puny filez.

At least it is good for something, like my home directory.

Pfft, Reiser or JFS, so I can expand and contract my logical volumes in my volume groups without unmounting them.

Crack that L337 5P33|<!! :D

Yes, I'm a professional geek. :rolleyes:

What was this thread about? :redface:

What teh peeyoblem is if you hear this ""HISSSSSHHHHP-HOOOOOOOOOOT" *stumble* *stumble* *die*.

I say, the cat in the uppipe was stunted, as indicated by the HISSSSSS, and promptly relocated by air induction to the turbo, as indicated by the HOOOOOOT. That caused the meat grinder to clog up, which stopped the flow of exhaust, and what happens when exhaust has nowhere togo, the engine stalls, as indicated by the stumble, stumble, die.

I keed I keeed

check gaskets around turbo. check t-body coupler... check bypass... sounds like a boost leak around a flange somewhere... when I had it, it made what I call "dying elephant" noises. lol.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Yup - my car bore the mark of the dying elephant. Got the car back today, suprisingly - the paperwork said that there was a disconnected 'air pipe' underneath the 'inner cooler'. I kid you not. The service advisor claimed that they inspected the uppipe and turbo and found no problems, but only after I launched a complaint using complex phrases like 'catalytic converter' and 'rich fuel mixture'. I got the distinct impression that he had no idea what I was talking about, and that he only answered in the affirmative to shut me up.

To add insult to injury, they're going to make me pay for a new RE92 on the loaner car. I got a flat on the way back to the dealership, and they're going to make me pay for it. Not only that, but it HAS to be through them, at the low price of $260. WTF!

Guest *Jedimaster*
Good thing the problem wasn't with the outer cooler. Those are really expensive to repair.

:lol:

great username too!

Hmm. How do I go about contact this fabled regional manager fellow? I've got a LONG list of grievances with this dealership ... this isn't the first time they've given me the shaft job.

There aren't any other dealerships near you? I wouldn't go to those dingle hoppers again. Also, you can contact the regional manager by asking that dealership for the contact information. They have to give it to you.

Don't pay a dime for that tire! If you must, buy one online for cheap and take it to them... say here's your tire...have a great life.... better yet, go buy a $50 budget tire, say here's your tire, have a great life...

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

The problem is that this is the dealer I got the car from, and the others in the area won't give me loaners until I have a 3-year-long service history with them. Shouldn't be a big deal anymore, though, because I'm about to pull the trigger on a lifted '90 Jeep Cherokee for some off-road action. I'll have my own damn loan car, thanks!

I wonder how they would react if I gave them a used Discount Tire special to replace the bad one. From what I can tell, they're usually overflowing with RE92s from Subie owners trading in close to new ones for credit toward better tires. I tell you what, though, this is the last time I deal with these fartknockers.

Archived