LegacyGT.com

No one has done an aftermarket sub in a 2005 yet????

-HEF-

bummer. i tried to hook up the 12V line this weekend, and i couldn't find an entry point on the firewall. there is a grommet on the passenger side, but it feels like it is cemented to the firewall. i thought my last car was tough. i used the steering column gromett on my last car, but that is a no-go on the Leg. anyone have suggestions? i would hate to have to take this somewhere to get the sub installed.

With WRXs, there's a grommet just above the brake pedal that is used for the boost gauge install. Since the Leg has a boost gauge option, there should be a grommet somewhere in that area to use.

no, not yet. i can survive on the stock speakers and head unit for now. but a sub must go in. i looked again in the cabin and in the engine compartment. i can't find a way through the firewall.

[quote name='-HEF-']no, not yet. i can survive on the stock speakers and head unit for now. but a sub must go in. i looked again in the cabin and in the engine compartment. i can't find a way through the firewall.[/quote] I'll look as well, tomorrow.

sub implies amp. are you saying that the OEM piece of crap is pre-wired? while i wouldn't use that small of a gauge for power, i could use the speaker wires to tap into for sound.

• 3 weeks later...
From my parts bin. This is absolutely not necessary but man does it feel good. I prefer to listen to the sweet notes of the engine and exhaust, but when the mood strikes...I got bass [img]http://www.pifiu.com/upload/uploads/052004/2004_0713_200532AA.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.pifiu.com/upload/uploads/052004/2004_0713_200304AA.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.pifiu.com/upload/uploads/052004/2004_0713_200751AA.JPG[/img]

I was thinking of getting some bandpass boxes so the exit tubes line up with the pass-through in the back seat. Should take little power for good bass. However it seems like it would be tempting to thieves, and I don't think it would work too well if I fit five people in and the passthrough closed on it. The two 8" bandpass boxes I have now have been a little too boomy for my tastes, although the trunk is probably more to blame than the subs. I don't think I want to put that much weight in my trunk anymore, and I wanted to try some sealed boxes for flatter response. I'd be interested to know how well subs transmit through the back seat before I invested any money. Especially the infinity's. I plan on getting some infinity components too so.... T-10 days to the new legacy :)

If you take off the shroud there is a small grommet under the passenger side of the intercooler with nothing going through it. I fed several feet of my power cable through there. After a couple of tries I could see the end behind the glove box. It was a major pain in the a**. I had to remove the cover under the glove box in the passenger footwell as well (three clips). Now I just need to figure out how to wire it so I don't get engine noise coming through my sub!

Chris S.

971594448_Pictures5-10019.jpg.ddb009df7fa0318c5d17341c3aa8e653.jpg

giggity!! that is the info i have been waiting for. thanks powbmps. i will be hooking up my sub today. if you give me more details about your setup, i may be able to help you get rid of your engine noise. did you use a line level converter? did you run the power line down the same side of the car as your speaker wire? if you run the power line and speaker line down the same side of the car to the trunk you will get engine noise.

one other thing. i am going to tap into the speaker lines right behind the HU. can you tell me the color codes for finding the rear left and rear right wires? or where i might get the US version of the map? is this the correct map for US models: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=706[/url]

Here is the US version on the back of the radio: 1 2 3 X X 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 At the head unit the rear rh speaker uses pins 12 (red wire w/white stripe) and 4 (blue wire w/yellow stripe). The rear lh speaker uses pins 13 (red wire w/black stripe) and 5 (white wire w/red stripe). I can email you a PDF file from the service manual if you'd like. Chris S.

[quote name='powbmps']Here is the US version on the back of the radio: 1 2 3 X X 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 At the head unit the rear rh speaker uses pins 12 (red wire w/white stripe) and 4 (blue wire w/yellow stripe). The rear lh speaker uses pins 13 (red wire w/black stripe) and 5 (white wire w/red stripe). I can email you a PDF file from the service manual if you'd like. Chris S.[/quote] thanks man. i did not have time to take the HU out tonight to finish. however, i did get the 12V in. i actually used a different grommet. using the one that you suggested, i could not find the wire inside the cabin. so i used the one that is perfectly visible on the passenger side without removing the shroud. it looks just like the one to the left of the grommet you used, however it is further towards the passenger side. i PM'd you about the pdf. you can either send that or just post here which ones are pos. and neg. thanks again. the grommet i used was here in this pic (more thanks to powbmps). it is the highly visible one that has the taped up wires going into it - look left of the intercooler. [img]http://www.legacysti.com/files/pictures_5-10_001.jpg[/img]

ok, this was very helpful. thanks to ravensblade. the schematic is for an Impreza, however, it mirrors the 2005 Legacy. [url]http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/modifications/misc/wiring/radiowrx.html[/url]

[quote name='Th3Franz']So after the grommet, how'd you route it? Is there room under the door sills to run the wire, or is there a better way to go about it?[/quote] ok, once through the grommet, and you have fed a good 1-2 ft. of wire through there, go in the cabin and remove the plastic cover below the glove box down near where the passenger's feet would be. it is held by 3 cheap-ass clips. after you do that, stick your head down there and start looking. i found it on the first go. yank it through and run it down the car under the sills. i removed the front passenger sill so i could get the wire under the part of the sill that wraps up towards the glove box. then i just crammed it under the rear passenger sill and under the rear seat for transfer to the trunk. keep in mind, i had the rear seat removed. that is cake too. there are 2 clips in the front under the seat, and a metal U shaped thing in the back of the seat. so lift up, then pull out. then route the wire to the trunk. i ran the speaker wire and remote turn on down the driver side to avoid engine noise. for the remote turn on i tapped into the 7.5v fuse in the box next to the steering wheel. the one marked "ACC". works like a charm. the ground was wicked easy too. i didn't even have to clean paint off with a wire brush. lift the carpeted spare-tire-cover up in the trunk and you will see 2 perfect bolts on the right, near the back of the rear seat. if you have any other questions, please ask.

[quote name='Deer Killer']Is there another connector back there? Notice no outputs for the optional sub...[/quote] not sure how they tap into all the wires for the sub. the pdf in the service manual only shows 2 wires going to the optional sub - we all know it takes more than that. you need at least 2 speaker lines, 12V, and a ground. anyway, the schematic shows a tap-in on pins 4 and 6. 4 connects to the rear door speaker, and 6 connects to power. oh, and the schematic calls the optional sub a "super woofer".

Archived