LegacyGT.com

Rick's 2009 XT #INANSB

In the middle of March 2015 on the way back from a visit to Fort Sill, OK the wife's 2009 XT developed a probable rod knock 500 miles from home.

Since I had kept the maintenance current while I have had the car this came as a surprise to me.

The car had no abnormal oil consumption, was full of oil, had 59,000 mi on it.

I bought this car out of the car pool at work in the fall of 2013 with 28,000 mi. In checking with the local dealer, they had no record of the oil being changed until 24,000 miles.

The maintenance for the company provided cars to the managers is free but it was up to the manager to request the maintenance. Apparently the manager that had this car was too busy?

As per MrTris I #INANSB.

16737561563_c33e7b89d2_c.jpg

Rough to the fingernail is not good. Replace the heads. Sorry.

Good looking car BTW. To bad it wasn't taken care of. Do it right and it will give you many years of enjoyment.

The heads don't look that bad in the picture for not having the oil changed for that long. See my click here link for my pictures.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sheesh, considering what that motor looks to have been through, just shop some better used heads and cams. It's a pain building the motor. Don't do it more often than you have to.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yay for another '09 XT rebuild!

I mean it sucks for you, but I'm happy to see another person with the exact same car. Always good to watch and learn from others. GTs and earlier years are real similar but they aren't always exact so this is cool. You can find my thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2009-obxt-engine-rebuild-swap-235387.html

Rough to the fingernail is not good. Replace the heads. Sorry.

Good looking car BTW. To bad it wasn't taken care of. Do it right and it will give you many years of enjoyment.

The heads don't look that bad in the picture for not having the oil changed for that long. See my click here link for my pictures.

That was my thought also, I was wondering if anyone had used heads like this and what the results were. I see that your motor had the same brown varnish, maybe that is to be expected.

Sheesh, considering what that motor looks to have been through, just shop some better used heads and cams. It's a pain building the motor. Don't do it more often than you have to.

I purchased heads and cams in advance, but I was hoping to used them in a later project. Also didn't want the delay of building the heads. The wife's patience is only so long, she has made a few comments about having to drive the pickup. It's an 8.1L ??? what more do you want!

Another question has come to mind. The oil baffle on the valve cover has the same varnish on the outside not sure what the inside looks like. Should I trust hot tanking these to get them clean enough to use or replace them?

I've decided to go thru the turbo as a precaution. Any recommendations on rebuild kits. I used one from ebay user "turborepairshop" on my 2005 LGT, but I question the quality. But I haven't had any trouble and it's been about 35,000 miles since the rebuild on the turbo.

Jmp is who we recommend you send the turbo to. MrTris will tell you that. Get him here,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

Get everything hot tanked that you can, cleanliness is your best friend.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Got the exhaust valves ground, lapped all valves, assembled heads, measured lash, and the new short block on the stand. Going to order the needed lifters and misc exhaust bolts and gaskets monday. Valve covers are at NAPA for hot tanking.

Wow, the carb dip they sell now is worthless, a waste of $25. Thanks EPA.

Are the dowel pins for the transmission suppose to be in the block or trans? My originals are in the trans, the new short block has the pins in it. I noticed the pins for my manual stayed in the block, but this auto has the pins in it.

17131372873_1f02803495_b.jpg

17565445219_e7e6610138_b.jpg

17131368003_ac5a304cfc_z.jpg17751691105_4a08b197c2_z.jpg

Spent the day fooling with the RH exhaust cam, it binds up when the rear cap torqued down. I have tried many things.

Plastigage shows .0015 clearance, the cam is new, the head is new.

It does the same thing with the old cam.

Prussian blue shows no high spots.

I guess I'll get the telescoping gages out, the cam mics okay.

17437247613_bfa67be79f_z.jpg

Cam tightness resolved, much lapping and polishing. Mainly my 3/8" torque wrench was out of it's accuracy window, I went to a 1/4" drive and there was quite a difference in bolt tightness (and cam tightness). But I used the 3/8" on all the other journals? Clearance is still at .0015 to .002. The turbo is next on the bench.

• 2 weeks later...
I could not find a way to get the OEM inner turbo heat shield on after the down pipe was on. It will go on on my manuals trans car but not this automatic. So, I removed the exhaust, again, and put it on.

Archived