LegacyGT.com

Anyone mounted a TomTom in cubby?

meliaant

Yes, sort of. My TomTom GO 510 is in my cubby, but it's not the best.

I had to remove the cubby, take off the door (surprisingly difficult), and put the cubby back in, doorless. If you bend the mount just right, you can jam it into the cubby, and it fits pretty snugly.

It sticks out from the cubby about 1/2 inch, and is a bit of an eyesore. You could cut a bit out of the back of the cubby to get it back further to sit more flush, and put ABS plastic around the TomTom to clean up the appearance (it leaves a gap around it).

I am sorely disappointed in its "extra features" though. It's great GPS, and a good interface, but the iPod integration sucks ass, and the Bluetooth is mediocre at best.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

I have the TomTom 300, which advertises BlueTooth for hands free calling,but I have yet to successfully receive a call through it...
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

I did do it. I pulled out the vent portion of the dash then cut out the back of the cubby. The mount fits in well enough that you can get the GPS flush with the dash. I then cut some lexan peices and painted them. It came out pretty nice. I just wish I could get it to turn off when I shut off my car. I'll attach a pic but it's just a crappy camera phone. Let me know if you want any help.

gps.thumb.jpg.1e7d47bac024ded44c850c45154ece42.jpg

How about fabricating a removable bracket?

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_IPF900/Navman_mount_freestanding.sized.jpg

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_IPF900/Navman_mount_side.sized.jpg

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_Getting_Started/IMG_2438.sized.jpg

Pros:

• Cheap to construct (3mm aluminium covered with black heatshrink)
  • Holds the GPS unit securely - no bouncing or shaking
  • Can remove the bracket in approximately 1 second
  • The cubby door still closes & is totally useable
  • The bracket can be modified to suit any GPS mount
  • With the GPS mounted further into the cabin, its easier to reach & less affected by reflections

Cons:

• None

The "fingers" at the rear of the bracket fit snugly into the cubby pocket dimensions. Gravity means it just sits there - even cornering at warp factor 9.

The bracket took me a few hours to put together, test-fitting as I went & then knocking the rivets out so I could cover the pieces in heatshrink & re-riveting it back together.

I love my 'lil bracket.

Re: dimensions, you are better off just making the unit & test-fitting as you go. The cubby rear face must precisely match the bracket dimensions in order to fit snugly.

As mentioned, it's made from aluminium & is subsequently very easy to work with.

I did do it. I pulled out the vent portion of the dash then cut out the back of the cubby. The mount fits in well enough that you can get the GPS flush with the dash. I then cut some lexan peices and painted them. It came out pretty nice. I just wish I could get it to turn off when I shut off my car. I'll attach a pic but it's just a crappy camera phone. Let me know if you want any help.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 06 OB XT to install a plug&play XM radio. I ordered the mod from jazzy so I don't have to use the FM Modulator.

How tough was it to pull the Vent/cubbyhole out? Any advice or instructions?

Thanks! That looks great, I'll keep you posted how it comes out....

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 06 OB XT to install a plug&play XM radio. I ordered the mod from jazzy so I don't have to use the FM Modulator.

How tough was it to pull the Vent/cubbyhole out? Any advice or instructions?

It's not that hard to get it out. You just have to have faith that it will pop eventually. I grabbed it from one of the vents and the cubby area and just pulled. It's tight but if you pull straight you won't break anything.

• 1 year later...

This is kind of what I want to do. I have the Tom Tom One XL, and it is too big to fit inside top to bottom (even if I cut out the back.. the clock/MPG meter are in the way). Thinking of doing like you did but leaving it sticking out about 1/2 an inch to have access to the power button. What did you use to make the cover?

For a while I left it sticking out but the new software update has an option such that when the power goes off the tomtom just shuts down. I run the power cord behind the dash and into the center console where there is a plug. I pulled the cover out of the cubby and cut a template out of lexan, it's just a really hard plastic. You can prime and paint the lexan with black paint. I got one that has a matt finish so that it matched the inside of the car.

• 1 year later...

Archived