LegacyGT.com

Power Steering Pump on it's way out?

I drove my wife's 93 SS for the first time in months and noticed that the power steering was almost completely gone and it was making a horrible noise when turning the wheel. Good thing she tells me these things, lol.

I refilled the reservoir (it was empty) and turned the wheels lock to lock a few times, and added some more fluid. It still makes a grinding type noise but it seems to be working.

This winter I noticed the pump was leaking and while I was having emissions done a couple months ago so I asked the mechanic to replace the main o ring at the bottom of the pump as one of the power steering pump line o rings. I am thinking they didn't do such a great job. Should have done it myself but it was cold outside.

I have a rebuild kit so I am going to get a junkyard pump and rebuild it to swap in.

Now there are bubbles in the reservoir so does that indicate a leak somewhere?

Also, can the pump be ruined to the point that a rebuild kit will not be able to fix it? I have heard using the pump with low fluid can destroy it.

Hello;

Seeing how the weather is a little nicer, would go to the pull and pay and fetch a unit that seems to be clean. I would just spiff it up and maybe replace the o-ring on the resevoir. Had to do mine this winter, too much Lucas in the system and the damned thing split in half! I would throw the old one into the junk pile, Steven.

your plan to buy used and rebuild it is a good one,

but not one that i carry out very often.

i usually give up after i have the used part and before i do the rebuild.

i just end up installing the used part as is,

and save the ''old'' part to be rebuilt when the new part fails.

it is surprising how long some used parts will last.

having said that,

i might replace the reservoir o-ring before the install.

You can just rebuild yours on the cheap with the reseal kit from subaru.

I dont think it will be beyond repair. Just when you pull it apart check for major signs of heat, but you should be good. You might also want to replace the bearing shaft as well as doing the reseal kit to make it totally fresh.

I just rebuilt mine and it was easy. The PS pump rebuild kit costed me $23 at the dealer but their $37 to the public I believe. Usually what leaks is the front seal, the case gasket and the reservoir oring but replace them all and flush the system.

Archived