LegacyGT.com

Spec B Wheels?

Gentlemen, there is a local seller who is advertising these as Spec B wheels. I cannot find any pictures on the net of black spec B wheels. Was it on any of Spec B, were they perhaps true spec b that he has painted, or is he just plain lying?

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/120410/010r1/036114j_19.jpeg

Those are 09 Spec B wheels that have been painted black.

I had one of mine repaired and the Hyper silver paint is VERY expensive. May be that's why he painted them black.

I have a spare Spec B wheel that has a lot of curb damage, it came with the car, I didn't do it. The guy at the wheel shop said it may cost close to what you can buy a new one for to fix this one back to hyper silver.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

He told me that he used them as winter wheels. There is probably something hidden there under that black paint. At the very least, I would strip the black paint off, but I'm leary about how they were prepped, and what kind of paint was used to spray them. I'm not married to the hyper silver original finish. I would be perfectly fine with a standard silver that the normal stock wheels come in, but I would need to strip off the black on all 4 wheels, and prep them properly. Kinda sounds like a lot of work.

Max, if you look at that extra wheel that you have, is there a sort of a clear plastic coating over the finish of the wheel, or would you say it is just a painted clear coat finish? I am especially curious about whether or not that protective finish layer sands or not? If you have a minute, and a piece of 320 or 400 sandpaper, could you rub that damaged wheel and see what happens when you sand the face of it, or try to feather out the gouges?

Those are 09 Spec B wheels that have been painted black.

I had one of mine repaired and the Hyper silver paint is VERY expensive. May be that's why he painted them black.

I have a spare Spec B wheel that has a lot of curb damage, it came with the car, I didn't do it. The guy at the wheel shop said it may cost close to what you can buy a new one for to fix this one back to hyper silver.

Does this apply for the LGT 17 inch wheels as well? Because I need to send mine in for some repairs...

Does this apply for the LGT 17 inch wheels as well? Because I need to send mine in for some repairs...

No, he said he would refinsh 4 of the stockers for 400. Mine have the little corrosion in the center cap area and a couple of very small surface flaws, mostly from having the tires mounted.

The stock paint is much cheaper.

The Hyper silver may have a clear coat in the paint. My goal tonight is to start pulling the engine out of my wagon. So I may not get to the wheel for a few day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The guy is asking 300 for his set of black painted wheels. To get back to the weight issue though, right now my '10 PZEV has factory 205/60/16 on the stock 16" alum wheels. What weight difference would there be in running these wheels, along with a set of 245/40/18's mounted on them?

I will agree, the Spec B wheels are heavy.

Someone must have a wieght of them around here somewhere.

googled and found this,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spec-b-wheel-weighti-133867.html?p=2880919

Tried to get a picture but you couldn't see much.

The wheel does weigh 26lbs without the tire and valve stem.

I did a sanding and I'm thinking the clear coat is in the paint.

Archived