LegacyGT.com

Sti Master Brake cylinder swap Qs

darkside

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Brake booster is the same between the WRX and STi. The MBC is bigger on the STi.

I don't believe the above is totally true from the research I have done

While this WRX booster looks like an STI booster the label seems to suggest its not the exact same.

All the STI boosters from 04-07 had SJ as the two letter large code.

They also had the numbers 061023 or FO1G061023 Some said Bosch on them

I could be wrong but from the research I did before I just purchased mine this is what i found.

The WRX booster looks the same but Im not sure it is totally the same.

This information came from a reputable STI only parts dealer http://www.y2kimports.com

• 1 month later...

As a follow up (long term) to my other posts, just did a fresh flush yesterday with some ATE superblue and it helped firm up the pedal some more. The Valvoline fluid I had in it was fine but there was a little slack at the beginning of the pedal travel, possibly some air left in the lines or just not as good fluid, who knows. Still feels awesome and I love the difference.

-Steve

Hmm I need to go through this thread again, but has anyone mentioned that having a larger MC actually means less hydraulic multiplication and effectively less force applied at the brakes per pound of force applied at the pedal?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/hydraulic1.htm

I guess maybe the booster swap makes up for less force being applied overall?

The pedal may feel firmer with less travel, but you have to apply more force to generate the same amount of braking force. At least that's my read on things...

I think our legs are all strong enough to exert sl more force- for me it's about getting rid of that mushy pedal feeling, giving a better 'feel' for how much braking is being done...

That said, I have yet to do this mod- did the GS mc brace on one (decent improvement), will prob eventually do the mc/booster swap on the other- will report back when I (finally) do it...

The pedal may feel firmer with less travel, but you have to apply more force to generate the same amount of braking force. At least that's my read on things...

Yes that is the entire point of this mod. You are only describing one side of this, the hydraulic pressure is a mechanical lever. The lever trades motion for force multiplication. In increasing the force required you are reducing the pedal travel required for the same braking power.

The light pedal with long travel is the "mushiness" that many don't like. Changing the MC bore for another production part isn't enough to make it too hard to stop. Lots of Subie guys have changed out the 15/16 for 1 and 1 1/16 bore for years now.

The booster adds another dimension since we are dealing with assisted brakes, the STI booster may have more or less assist designed in.

Interesting... I think I'm coming around to seeing how shorter pedal travel with a slight increase in required foot pressure makes for better brake modulation.

It's easier to have your foot in a relatively static location and increase the pressure applied...(large MC) as opposed to having to actually move your foot for the extra travel even though the pressure required would be less. (smaller MC)

Correct. The stock brake MC and booster is sized for the worst case scenario where the driver is a bulemic 35kg model who can barely lift her high heels off the ground, let alone push a pedal.

Have a drive in an STi some time. Still really easy to get to high line pressures with reasonable pedal effort.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Think yourself lucky you don't have the stupid auto-panic-brake-for-skinny-schoolgirls that I have to put up with.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

lol the what??

'08 WRX has this. Subaru calls it Brake Assist. I have a reward ready for whoever can disable this 'feature'.

'08 WRX has this. Subaru calls it Brake Assist. I have a reward ready for whoever can disable this 'feature'.

you didn't mention caring about any other "features" (ABS, cruise control, etc), so your solution is to remove the fuse. voila, no more hill-assist.

now, where do i collect my reward? ;)

Ohh, interesting, just looked it up... Hmm, not sure how I feel about it. I guess in theory it's a good idea but in practice it probably sucks hehe.

you didn't mention caring about any other "features" (ABS, cruise control, etc), so your solution is to remove the fuse. voila, no more hill-assist.

now, where do i collect my reward? ;)

You're confusing hill-assist with brake assist. Different things. ;)

Psst, fahr, just stumbled across your 2 year old post on clubwrx, trying to figure out how to disable it haha.

Edited by iNVAR

Ohh, interesting, just looked it up... Hmm, not sure how I feel about it. I guess in theory it's a good idea but in practice it probably sucks hehe.

That quick tap on the brakes to transfer weight forward in fast transitions gets very difficult to get right with the ABS pump kicking in.

Psst, fahr, just stumbled across your 2 year old post on clubwrx, trying to figure out how to disable it haha.

LOL. Yeah. That worked out well eh?

Remember the good old days when you were the only one controlling your brakes?

• 1 month later...

The 08+ STI does have a compatible MC, but it is essentially the same as the Legacy MC, 15/16" bore. This is the only size bore available thus far for the VDC cars, so there is nothing available to swap.

That is last I checked circa 2011 but I sold my WRX...one might want to look at the BRZ it has VDC and likely has a compatible brake system from what I have seen...

• 3 weeks later...
My engine is out, so I'll be doing this.

Just bought this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251174870721

it's the right one, correct ? "says it was pulled from a 05 sti"

other than the sti check valve being shoved into the lgt line, it's all a direct plug and play, correct ?

See my previous post I think in this thread. Make sure it has if I remember correctly SJ and the certain number on it and also many had a Bosch sticker

Otherwise it may not be an STI one and the WRX one is not the same.

Also when you get yours compare it against the pictures on your eBay listing as I got sent a different one that the one pictured when I purchased off eBay and had to get a refund