LegacyGT.com

No chimes. Period.

There are two triggers for the irritating chimes - Non-belted, and key-in-with-door-open.

There are a couple semi-infinite threads on the seatbelt chime, with a simple, but unfortunately temporary solution - the 20-click method. I've tried this, and it works, but then resets for unknown reasons after a while. So, I sought a more stable solution. Digging around, I found there are 4 wires connected to the driver setbelt latch - two black, one red/white, and one black/white. The two black go to the switch for the chime. The switch is Normally Closed, and Opens when the seatbelt is latched. You can see them by pulling back the rubber cover, as in the fuzzy pic attached. If you want to get rid of the seatbelt chime permanently, clip one of the black wires. If you're more patient than I, you can trace the wires under the seat & try to find a connector to unplug - I couldn't, so good luck.

This applies only to the driver side, I have no idea about the pax side.

And do not use this mod to drive without the belt latched. If you do, you're an idiot, and at least use it to drive on a deserted road, without passengers, where you can kill yourself & harm no-one else, preferably before you've reproduced.

The following is apparently for MT only! Pulling th eplug on AT cars causes the shift interlock to not disconnect!!

The other warning chime is when you leave the key in with the door open. Simple solution - just pull the connector on the upper left of the steering column. Zip-tie the connector so you don't get a new irritating noise. A bit hard to get at, but a worthwhile bonding experience. One screw to remove the bottom cover, two to remove the top.

LatchWires.JPG.1b331b53e837aa08f7c1ac6926f8fa9f.JPG

KeyIn.JPG.78a4791ee1fb41646ce680592abbd7a3.JPG

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

i did the 20 click method 6 months ago. never came back.

as for doing this mod before you reproduce b/c you might hurt other people, i totally understand. i've seen those non belted straps fly out of the car, wrap around other drivers necks, and kill them instantly a MILLION times.

:rolleyes:

dR

I dunno... slapping is so much more satisfying...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Okay, I just finished the 32 second mod. At first when I sat in the car and started the motor I had chimes and was thinking ..."that dirty #@$@#^& OhBe1, but after putting on seatbelt it went away. A five minute drive with buckling and unbuckling was blissfully silent. ( ....umm... the drive was off public streets. yeah, that's the ticket)

The red/white & black/white wires goto the airbag. How do I know?

When I saw the two black wires, I figured it'd be easier to clip them under the seat, where I'd have some slack to reconnect if things went wrong. So I followed them under & cut the cable - then discovered the hidden r/w & b/w wires in the same sheath. The airbag light stayed on, steady.

I interpret this to mean that the bag computer knew there was a sensor problem, but would deploy the bag when it thought necessary. It did not blink, which I would have interpreted as being a real issue.

Reconncting the b/w & r/w shut off the airbag light. So all is well, IMO.

Now the seatbelt light comes on & blinks a couple times on startup, & then stays off.

Okay, I just finished the 32 second mod. At first when I sat in the car and started the motor I had chimes ...

I assume you did only the seatbelt wire. I think the remaining chime is from the door open, key in, motor off combo.

i did the 20 click method 6 months ago. never came back.

dR

I did mine about 10 months ago and it just came back on this AM. There's no rhyme or reason to it (otherwise known as CHIME or reason! HA!), but it has happened...

20-click-method, here I come!

Presumably they would deploy even if unbelted.

Presumably they would deploy even if unbelted.

I would hope they assume that if the vehicle is on and in an accident, the driver airbags should at least deploy :) As for the passenger, the on/off switch for the airbags is in the weight sensor of the seat.

i wouldn't feel good about cutting any of the wires related to my cars safety system.

dR

+1 ..I wouldn't mess with that especially if it is still under warranty. I did the 20 click thing a while back and had the ECU re-flashed once in an attempt to fix the cruise control issue and the seatbelt chime has never come back. Hopefully it won't but if it does it is easy enough to do again. Much better solution than clipping wires.

i wouldn't feel good about cutting any of the wires related to my cars safety system.

dR

+1 If you sold your car, wouldn't that make you liable for their injuries if the saftey system didn't work?

All it affects is the annunciator.

• 4 weeks later...

Most modern airbags (supplemental restraint systems) will not deploy if the seatbelt is not buckled or the seat position is too far back.

Is this conjecture as well? It does not seem reasonable to me that a driver without seat belt is safer without the airbag.

You did a better job digging up information than my cursory google search produced. I still didn't find any hard evidence in the Tribeca article that the driver seatbelt acts as an on-off switch for the airbag.

"The system also takes input from a seatbelt buckle switch, to determine if the driver is using the belt."

I don't interpret this as fire/do-not-fire variable, but it is not something that I would gamble with, and I too am not going to be cutting any wires.

Cutting the wire tells the systenm that the belt is buckled.

Cutting the wire tells the systenm that the belt is buckled.

Which supports rubbercow's arguement that it is unsafe to fire the airbag while a driver is not buckled. A person who chooses not to wear his or her seat belt (aside from the obvious increase in risk of fatal injury) should know of the added risk of having the airbag deploy too close to the body because the car did not know to turn it off.

I think it is important for everyone to consider all the factors and possibilities that may occur from this mod. It has the potential for greater harm than taking out your intake silencer.

I agree that driving without a buckled seatbelt is stupid, and reduces the effectiveness of the airbag.

I'm guessing that a Normally Closed switch is used so that the bag still deploys, even if the latch is damaged.

Actually, now that I think a bit more, I'm more concerned about the safety of the 20-click method. In that case, you are actually sending a command to the bag computer - but to do what?

I just clipped one of the black wires (the one on the right). Should I wrap the ends with electrical tape or something similar? Is it going to be a problem if I don't?

The reason why I cut the wire to get rid of the chime is because when I back up into a parking spot I like to turn my body to look through the rear of the car, and I need to unbuckle to do that and I got tired of always hearing the chime when I back into a spot. Other than that, I always wear my seatbelt while driving.

Thanks

Not really necessary to wrap it, since it's a ground and there's nothing conducting near it. I'd do it anyway, just to settle the little voices in my head.

Archived