LegacyGT.com

2.5i Tune

Just wondering if its better to get a tune over a throttle body controller? Only talking n/a's. I've never had a car tuned, but isn't there a way I could download a map and apply it to my car via laptop? I believe romraider is something like that? Thoughts and ideas from everyone?

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

There are not ots options, but I believe a member here with a black 2.5i sport maybe was lining up a tune from XRT IIRC and was supposed to report back when he got it done. So maybe there is a sliver of hope for at least a little performance bump.

Suspension mods are better bang for buck on 2.5i.

I don't think there's any off the shelf tuning available for the 2.5i

Def doing suspension mods first. Just thinking down the line, when there's nothing more to do suspension wise or brakes. Didn't think there was any ots tunes, just wishful thinking.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

I had my 2.5i tuned. I bought a Tactrix 2.0 cable. I installed ROM raider & ECUflash. I downloaded my .bin from my ECU and someone generously defined it for me on the ROMraider forums. Yours might already be defined. I did 4 rounds with an e-tuner.

Some gains can be had with tuning. The factory tune is rich at WOT 11.0:1 AFR and the timing is very conservative below 5000rpm at WOT. I added a little more WOT timing after have it e-tuned. A tune isn't going to make your car magically fast. I would guess gains are in the 5-10 hp range. I brought my car to the track when it was 100% stock, but I have not brought it back. IMO The biggest difference in my car, is that it feels noticeably faster from 4000-5000rpm.

The one issue with the tune I had done, is that it was done on 93 octane, but it audibly knocks on 87 octane at part throttle. I think I have figured out where it knocks (low rpm, higher load), I suspect the tuner probably applied his experience with 2.5GT tables to my car, and the engine probably doesn't reach those loads because the turbo probably spools up at those loads and does not reach portion of the table.

I have been thinking about doing my own custom tune on my car, since my factory warranty is almost done. (I will be hitting 60k in May) I have good amount of DIY tuning on other cars [The last tune I did was a essentially a blank sheet tune], but not Subarus. I am confident I can improve the tune on my car and even make a good 87 octane tune. If you want to get into tuning, I would be willing to share my experiences. To tune you have to learn to log your car and understand where and it affect the ECU tables.

I am not going to do a thread if its going to be derailed by naysayers that don't own 2.5i's, peanut gallery comments from those who have no experience tuning, idiot constantly asking for dyno's/track times, and people who no interest in contributing.

I haven't done a throttle controller, but it seems like it just makes the gas pedal more sensitive. I don't have any interest in that type of mod.

You've 100% sparked my interest. I've done (what I consider) enough mods to my 2.5i to starting actually looking into a tune. I've played with the idea but just like you said, its easy for someone to just say 'nahhh its a 2.5i, dont even bother touching the engine'.

If you're willing to teach it, I'd love to learn it! Even if I dont apply it to THIS car. Having that knowledge cant be bad, right? ;)

If you're willing to teach it, I'd love to learn it! Even if I dont apply it to THIS car. Having that knowledge cant be bad, right? ;)

ever heard the term "knowing just enough to be dangerous"?

ever heard the term "knowing just enough to be dangerous"?

hahah ohhh yes I have!! It takes a lot for me to pull the trigger on something. Especially my car. I wouldn't have the balls to pull it off for a long time, but I'd love the knowledge of it.

Archived