LegacyGT.com

Low Coolant and Smell

Fletch

I think I have been smelling coolant the past several months, but not sure. It's a faint sweet smell when idling and fresh air venting in the cabin.

I checked the coolant the other day and it was below the cold line in the plastic overflow tank when the engine was hot.

I topped it off with maybe a cup and will try to re-evaluate when the engine is cold. I am using the Subaru long life coolant, but forgot the additive when I had it changed about 10k miles ago.

Looks like this is somewhat common. My oil looks and smells good, I wouldn't know where to get it analyized to elimiate head gasket.

I'm not seeing puddles under the car. Any common areas to look for leaks or weeps?

• 2 weeks later...

Coolant level seems to be dropping slowly. I have been checking it with fully cold engine, maybe a 1/16th of an inch a day or so in the reservioir.

Inspected the coolant lines and engine as best I could and cannot find evidence of a coolant leak. I seem to have oil residue/leak coming from around the bottom of the turbo:confused: Assume it's one of the oil feed lines.

Don't see myself having the time to dig deep. Guess I'll be topping off.

Archived