LegacyGT.com

Intake option: No aftermarket support my arse!

So after searching the inter webs for an aftermarket intake and having no luck other than over priced bits and pieces from japanparts.com, I sat down to try and piece together something that would work. What is the most important part of an intake system? Of course, the MAF. I needed something that would retain the MAF and that would fit the 2011 legacy gt MAF.

Now, what do all companies want to do in the long run? Save money.

How do car companies do this? Using the same parts for all vehicles. Boom! The 2008-2014 wrx & sti have the same MAF as the 2010+ Legacy gt.

So after comparing pictures for 5mins and then saying **** it's only $195, I ordered the COBB Tuning Short Ram SF Intake System Subaru WRX / STI 2008-2014

And the MAF is a direct fit. The turbo can be heard a whole lot better now. Sounds pretty damn sexy.

Go forth now and be awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the most important part of an intake system? Of course, the MAF.

Not necessarily. My car doesn't have a MAF. I ended up getting a short ram from KS Tech and they put the correct MAF flange on so i could get to the tuner and switch to SD. Are you planning to get a box built? I assume the MAF plug is in the back since it's not in the pictures?

I see a racerX charge pipe and IC. :)

Not necessarily. My car doesn't have a MAF. I ended up getting a short ram from KS Tech and they put the correct MAF flange on so i could get to the tuner and switch to SD. Are you planning to get a box built? I assume the MAF plug is in the back since it's not in the pictures?

I see a racerX charge pipe and IC. :)

No MAF? Crazy!

Yep, it's on the back.

Yep, you can switch from MAF to SD (SpeedDensity) using MAP and a few other sensor inputs. Its a PITA to tune but more accurate than MAF. In the end, as with most other things there are pros and cons of both MAF and SD tunes. Some apply to N/A cars, some to heavily modified FI applications, some to the response time of sensor combos to arrive at optimal AFRs.

Still, good to know that we have some intake options out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see that the MAF on the LGTs matches the 3.6R and 2.5i too.

Can you give us the details of the part number, etc?

Did you get it tuned after install? Wondering if anything changed after install in the running lean or rich department.

This is what I was wondering. The sensors may be the same across vehicles but tuning is required to keep things dialed in and safe.

Thanks for stepping up and testing this out. It's nice to see we have an option. Keep us posted on how the box works out.

Sooooo.... you have taken our cold air stock intake (which is quite good), to a engine (warm) air intake? .... Outside the visual, is this actually beneficial?

He said he was going to try to get the cobb box to fit in there so it would still be cold air like stock. Either way, don't expect much for performance gains if any. I'm really just interested in the sound :hide:

One would theorize that it would improve hp - heck it helps the STIs

Really? I've never heard of the intake being a bottleneck on the STi...

The only real problem was when people started to max out the stock MAF and needed a larger housing. Of course usually by the time you get to that point, the airbox was removed anyways to make room for FMIC piping, lol :lol:

Guess I should have looked at pictures first. Looks like on the other cars the intake is sideways instead of coming up from the bottom like we have. So even if the box does fit there would be a hole on the side. Duct work for the snorkel thing looks a bit different too.

Take it in for the tune in a few days. Yes MAF and turbo xs RFL. Why? Because sweet sounds that's

why.

The sound is pretty awesome. Even if I'm making 2 less HP, the sound alone is worth it until I get the tune.

I just bought the Cobb air box and I'm fairly certain I can get it to work with our reverse intake piping......with some modding of course. I'm totally going all Army pathfinder on this one. PIA in Tacoma is gonna help me out. Also just got wheels powder coated satin black, front lip, and ravspec side skirts.

Archived