LegacyGT.com

general performance upgrades

bigdave22785

this is david from VA. i have a 98 legacy 2.5 i have added a few show things like lights and stuff and speakers but i cant find any "made for" parts you know. everything is for a WRX. if anyone has any helpful sites or anything to help out that would be great. ive been lookin for a place like this forever.

Other than a turbo conversion or transplant, there's not much to be done. Panel filter, maybe exhaust. There are N/A headers out there, but more than that would cost more than a turbo transplant and would have less potential and payback. There's also the EZ30 from the Outback 3.0 if you can find one, but the wiring's a nightmare if you have a different model and would still probably come out costing more than a turbo. Steve

[url]http://www.cobbtuning.com[/url] (Cobb) [url]http://www.spomotorsports.com[/url] (SPO Motorsports) [url]http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto[/url] (Teague's) There's three to start with that have Legacy-specific parts. There may be more, but those are three that I've ordered from before. It's not really a huge selection of stuff, like for the WRX, but at least it's something.

Tell me what you'd like to see and I'll see what vendors can be found. That Aiborne place seems to have a loose selection of everything with wild prices on some things, like $1500 for a VF34! :-o Most prices are under $1000 with a number offering them new for $750, that's just one example. I'm wondering if you have a 5MT or 4EAT first off, sort of helps describe one's stance on performance. Here's my suggestions for starters: -Good set of tires (upgraded wheels optional, but stick to OE diameter on tires), Tire rack is a great spot for referencing of purchasing tires, this is probably the most crucial upgrade -Upgraded rear sway bar from Whiteline or Cusco, etc. (helps turn-in) -Upgrade struts to KYB GR2's non-adjustables or AGX with adjustable dampening when you outgrow or wear out stock struts -Optionally upgrade to a set of Whiteline Control Springs -Stoptech Stainless Brake Lines (think Cobb has them for the least cost right now) -For OE like characteristics, a good set of brake pads like Akebono ProACT Ceramics or Carbotech Bobcats -For impoved shifter feel and response, something like the Kartboy Short-Throw Shift Lever w/ Bushings is recommended Power is a bit of a personal choice. You have to spend a lot for good NA power, but to make forced induction reliable for not a huge amount more, you're spending a lot too. If you choose forced induction, and really like your car, I'd suggest an upgraded short block if doing an aftermarket turbo kit. Another option is a WRX Swap. If you want to stay naturally aspirated, Cobb has a new header system out that has proven good results. A less costly solution is a set of Borla headers and a high-flow cat. Both mate to the 2.25" cat-back of your choice. Pulleys are also available. As far as I know, intake have not been made to date, however, you can make your own with the MAF adapter plates available. Cams are also an option, but not cheap because of the install cost. Just some suggestions/ideas. Give me a better idea on where you really want to go with your car to allow me better to suggest appropriate products.

• 1 month later...
I guess you need to give us an idea on what you want to do. Freshen the performance? Improve the performance over stock? Better daily driving handling? AutoX? Track days? Run down Evos'? So you know, I have a 98 GT wagon that I run pretty hard as well as autoX. Mods have been middle of the road to now, but I will add a COBB header to my COBB cat back soon (weather and business travel allowing). I have worked on rims, brakes, suspension and some power.

Hey Dave, Here's a couple of other links. [url]www.rallitek.com[/url] [url]www.i-speed.us[/url] The bottom link is a company that does WRX motor swaps, and they've done a few swaps into a Legacy. So if you can't find good parts swap the motor. Lots of parts for the WRX!!! They have an article in I believe Sport Compact Car the March issue. I believe it was titled swap a EJ20 into any Subaru. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
As for suspension - alot of parts from a WRX fits as the WRX chassis is an updated original Impreza which is basically a shortened original Legacy. The second generation may be a little different, but the main issue I'd have is with spring ratings designed for the WRX may not be optimal so everything has to be thought of and researched more thoroughly. That's the fun of it, though. Steve

wow mad info all that is real good but to be more specific i think i was only going to go with the whole exhaust system for a little added performance and sound. im not really ready to do too much to my engine yet. so i figure intake, headers, and exhaust system. about the intake. i have the hood scoop but its just for looks. i used to laugh at people with fake scoops so i need to fix it. the people around here are dumb as hell so they cant help. i think im gonna have to get the intake and some custom tubing. what do yall think? or i could just open it up so the air just goes in my engine to cool it and the intake may be able to pick some of that air. is that understandable? anyway let me know what yall think

You're going to pull in a lot more than just air with pulling air directly through the scoop to a filter. Pull cold air in through the fender. Talk to Josh at Cobb, the Phase I 2.5's used a MAF intake sensor which has to be dealt with carefully otherwise you can cause it to malfunction and things could potentially go very quickly, therefore you have to know what you're doing with intakes on MAF-equipped cars. That is what I'd recommend. You can still pull the backing off if you wish, should help push some air down and through the engine bay to keep temps slightly cooler.

I recommend removing the snorkel inside the fender and getting a K&N drop in panel filter. If your heart's set on a scoop, you could try a brake cooling duct as this: [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p6305569c2bc531f518e2fbb1a1c334a1/fa11fa77.jpg[/img] Steve

yea well i was thinkin that if i were to open the back of my scoop up to let air in the engine that i could put some wire mesh or something behind it to keep all the bigger stuff out and i was thinkin about the problem w/ water and so i might have to get the cut off valve i dont think the water would hurt anything else bc not too too much would get int. i just figured since i have the scoop there then i should get it in working condition who is this guy w/ top mounted intake? im guessing that would go hand in hand with my scoop huh?

Archived