LegacyGT.com

Stalling, can't reproduce it

I was stopped at a mailbox yesterday and I noticed that my car had died. Started it again, no problem, but when I hit the gas it would die every time. In my haste to get out of the busy street I put it into Park (to start it again) before it was completely stopped (whoops, lol). Anyway I kept having the problem and was getting 16 AT Temp flashes. I didn't have the paper about pulling the trans codes but while I was waiting for a ride I was able to get a P0100 MAF sensor code from my code reader.

Anyway I had to go finish the route, and when I came back I couldn't get the car to do it again. Drove home and still can't reproduce it. I also can't pull any trans codes and I haven't had the light flashing on start up.

Reading other topics it seems like the car dying on acceleration points to an air problem, so either MAF or IACV or maybe EGR. Would a dirty MAF/IACV exhibit this symptom and then "fix itself" like seems to have happened?

Fuel pump and filter are new, air filter is new, alternator is new. Couldn't find any loose or leaking hoses yet. I'm going to clean the air components even though I did them in June.

IACV shouldn't cause the car to stall under acceleration, so you can rule that out. The IACV allows bypass air to enter the engine when the throttle plate is closed (not depressing the gas pedal.) If you are accelerating, then you have opened the throttle plate yourself, so no matter what the IACV does, the engine won't stall. If anything, it'll cause the engine to surge if it opens too far and allows extra air to enter the engine.

Though I suppose it's possible that if you were being very smooth with the throttle, the IACV might have been snapping shut before the throttle body opened enough to allow the engine to keep running. But since you're also getting a MAF sensor code, I'd start there.

It didn't die on acceleration today like it did the other day, but it did die three times while idling. I also noticed a strange dip in RPMs when getting up to 60 mph. I cleaned the EGR valve and replaced most of the vacuum hoses (including the one I broke, lol) tonight. I've been getting P0400 and 420 randomly since I've had the car and the valve did have a lot of crap in it, so we'll see if that helps. How common is it for the EGR valve to fail completely?

Still dying even after cleaning the EGR valve. But, when I depress it it seems to stay depressed a little after I let go, so maybe I'll try swapping on the one from my wife's car and see if that helps.

EGR swap had no effect. I got another P0100 code but sometimes it will die w/o throwing a code at all. Swapped MAF sensors and the test drive went smoothly, aside from some weird vibrating at the first stop sign (assuming it was just adjusting to the new sensor). Having a parts car is great, I will see what happens tomorrow.

Yeah I figured if I screw something up bad enough someone will chime in :lol:

If nothing else hopefully I can solve it and someone who has the same problem will see it. Although all of the things I've tried came from searching for other topics, lol

• 2 weeks later...
still havent checked the TPS but no problems until today. Only happens on starting the car (while warm). The idle drops to ~500 and violently shoots up to 1000-ish, several times before smoothing out. P0400 and P0420 again.

Sounds an AWFUL lot like a sticky IACV to me. It can cause exactly what you are describing, and it can also cause the car to randomly stall whenever you are off the accelerator. However, that's just based off of my personal experience. I'm sure there are other things that could cause it as well.

Archived