LegacyGT.com

235-40-18 Eagle GT sidewall crack

triple_B

Hey all,

with 6000k miles on the new tires and wheels i noticed a crack in the sidewall of one tire its full circumfrence. i baby the car, drive LIKE im drunk to avoid all potholes and never curbed or touched a thing with the sidewall/wheel.

i contacted Tirerack with options for a warranty factory defect/fail. sent pics and have emailed a few times. per their request i took it to a few goodyear local shops (and firestone where i had them mouned and aligned).e

all said it was most likely a defect/fail and should be warranited/replaced. but since i got it at tirerack they would have to authorize. well tirerack says any goodyear supplier can warranty and deal with goodyear corporate of payment.

all the while im stuck in the middle. of course i did not pay for any extra warranty but admit that but i did not cause this not my fault.

to get rolling again should i just buy a new tire locally and then hope i get reimbersed...or will i just be shooting myself in foot and never see a dime.

has anyone dealt with a similar issue? any suggestions?

thanks

(hahaha also i meet the most "your blinker fluid is low...ill sell you 4 new tires" jerk at a tire shop that said using Armorall tire wet caused this cause its a sealant and did not allow the tire to breath and sweat....:eek: i just walked away.)

UPDATE: i called Goodyear corporate and got a ref#, took it to local goodyear and within and hour they replaced the tire. it only had 6,000 miles on it. starting tread was 10/32, when replaced it was 7/32. all sings point to ok to just add it to the other 3. just did a track day and all is good. (naturally shaved it down.)

• 2 weeks later...
I have the exact issue with one of my 225/40/18s Eagle GTs. Showed it to discount tire and they offered to get someone to look at it to warranty replace it. Only problem is they will only replace the one and the others are already worn down enought that one new tire could cause issues. Just going to wait a bit longer and replace all 4 with the Conti DWS.

Did you have to roll your fenders for this size tire?

i did not. ive done a few track days, camping trips with trunk full of gear bikes on top and 4 people inside...no rubbing.

i think one time this winter when it was very cold (low tire pressure) 5 girls and all there lugage from the airport i slightly bumbed or rubbed for a fration of a second.

i left the rubber fender edge gaurd on since if i do hit it, it will only be sidewall verses rubber strip.

Archived