LegacyGT.com

Stereo locks up when hot out

05SilverScubie

I have an 07 Spec B and when it starts to get hot out (usually 80 or above) and the interior is warm as well, my factory head unit will completely lock up to the point I cannot control the volume or change channels and the only thing I can do is turn it off. Also when this happens, if i press a different preset button (ie change from 2 to 5), it won't do anything, then after a few seconds, will store that channel to another preset. I've noticed the screen flicker here and there. Usually a good fix (and I hate to admit this because it's not nice to hit a lady) is to give a good thump to the side of the radio console, screen blinks, and all is back to normal. When it get really hot out, this is just a continuous process. This doesn't happen when it's cold, only hot. Any advice or suggestions?????:spin:

I don't know. Not sure if it's temperature related either. My 05 head unit did it from time to time, the 07 head unit I put in there also does it from time to time.

When it does it, I can turn the radio on and off, but not change volume, channels or input. The radio screen is blank.

The climate control does let me change fan speed, aire direction and I think the temperature, but that screen is blank too. Turning the car off and on again seems to fix everything.

Regularly recurring problem with the 4th gen stereo/climate control boards made by Toshiba. SOA knows of it, but according to my dealership in order to replace it you have to be the original owner of the vehicle. So i'm saying screw it and looking at getting a double din

Pushing on the face between the Balance and Audio buttons does the trick for me.

Yeah, it works for me as well. I'm far too lazy to take apart the radio and look for a loose connection...

Archived