LegacyGT.com

"Security" warning light

Hi Guys........this may seem like an odd question for a guy who has been driving Subaru's for years and the current LGT since new in '06....but is the little red "Security" light in the dash supposed to be blinking when the car is turned off or parked?? If goes out and stays out when the key is in the ignition or the engine is running.

It has never been visible from day one....but today I had , yet another, dead battery and after I charged it up the light appeared in the dash display. BTW the battery is new but seems to drain in about 5-8 days of no driving.

When I leave the car parked in the garage ..unlocked...the security light flashes every 3 seconds....if I lock the doors it flashed very quickly at about once a second for about a minute then goes to 2 blinks then a 5 second pause then 2 blinks etc etc.

I read what little there is in the manual....no help at all....what a surprise?? I searched on here and the internet...equally little info.

Is it supposed to do that?? If so...I guess it just started working right after 6 years and if not...something is wrong...called the dealer and they didn't seem to know.:spin:

HELP!!!

OK...for any of you who have the security light acting like mine......the flashing means that your alarm system is in "Valet mode"...unfortunately the manual doesn't really tell you how to deactivate that mode without deactivating the alarm and the procedure the dealership told me to do doesn't do it either ....anyway it apparently is OK in Valet Mode so no big deal!!

Anyone with any workable suggestions will be welcomed.

My '06 has done the same thing since I owned it. I believe when these cars were new, they came with a regular key and a valet key. If it works like most other valet keys, the valet key should only unlock the doors and start the car (as opposed to the regular key which should also work the little lock on the gas/trunk release and the glove box). I know our keys have the microchip in them and the explanation I've seen is that the security light flashes in some fashion any time the car does not "read" the microchip (ie-key not in the ignition or wrong key in ignition).

My security light is really dim so I didn't even notice it for a few days after I bought the car.

The manual says that when the security light flashes it is in Valet Mode and the alarm does not work in Valet Mode....but I went through all the various procedures and the alarm say it is activated....however the light still flashes...who knows???

BTW....both my keys are chipped so I really have no way to test whether the alarm is active or not.

From owners manual via my.subaru.com

Security indicator light

This indicator light shows the status of the alarm system. It also indicates operation of the immobilizer system.

• Alarm system

It blinks to show the driver the operational status of the alarm system. For detailed information, refer to the “Alarm system” section in chapter 2.

• Immobilizer system

This light blinks approximately 60 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from “ON” position to the “ACC” or “LOCK” position or immediately after the key is pulled out. (Refer to the “Door locks” section in 3-24 Instruments and controls chapter 2.)

If the indicator light does not flash, it may indicate that immobilizer system may be faulty. Contact your nearest SUBARU dealer immediately.

In the event that an unauthorized key (for example, an unauthorized duplicate) is used, the security indicator light comes on.

Yeah...read all that....no help really....my remote died yesterday too.....probably just the remote battery since my extra one works fine.

I have talked to 3 different Subaru techs and they all have the "Solution" ...however none of them worked out....light still blinking as if the car is in Valet Mode....but everything else works fine. ?????????

And none of the "reset" procedures in the manual have worked either :mad::mad: .....nor have any of the procedures outlined in http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#05%20legacy%20program%20remotes

I now believe it is the work of evil gerbils :eek:

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Mine blinks all the time. Car is on, blinks. Car is off, blinks. Car has the key in the ignition but still off, blinks. About every three seconds or so, so not the fast pulsing I've heard others mention.

When following the steps to set in Valet mode, the menu on the dash says the alarm is active. Deactivated it, reactivated it. Same thing.

My last car (06 Corolla) did the exact same thing for years. No idea. It's only a bit annoying during night driving, but not unbearable.

Would love to figure that one out though.

BTW....both my keys are chipped so I really have no way to test whether the alarm is active or not.

Roll down your drivers window, take the key out, get out and shut the door. Press the lock botton on your key fob and wait 60 sec. for the security light to start the double blink. Reach in the window and unlock the door with the Lock/Unlock switch, then open the door from the outside. Your alarm sould go off if your alarm is active.

• 1 year later...
I just figured out how to stop that security light from blinking . . . and draining the battery! I tried the previous instructions of rolling down the window, locking with key fob and unlocking from inside Lock/Unlock switch, but came to no conclusion there. Then I got out of car after having made sure all doors locked, used key fob to unlock drivers door, then of course no light flashing . . . then used my key to manual lock the drivers door and NO MORE BLINKING LIGHT! Yeah, dumb way to resolve but it works! Hope this helps someone else!

Archived