LegacyGT.com

Conversion 5x100 to 5x114.3 on 05 LGT

lfrisé

And subscribe!

So excuse me for not reading the whole thread in detail, but i have to look like I'm actually doing work, but you said you would need a to have the rear knuckles sent to you for moddification. You would supply a couple of misc plates and brackets, as well as a parts list of what the user needs to source him/her (can't forget about the drivetrain swapping ladies).

When are you looking to get more serious about this?

Reason I ask is I have a rolling chasis which does not "need" to roll any time soon, but i am looking to start the 6 speed R180 conversion soon, so I'm interested, if im swapping a transmission and differential, what's a hub, and some odd bits added to the pile.

I think I can speak for a few other members that this would make the need for custom axles a non-issue, and having better bearings, more wheel options, and reuse of STi brakes all around is mighty tempting.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update - this project (and thus my daily driver) has languished in the corner of the shop while more important (READ: Paying) jobs have totally overwhelmed me. I will get back to it, and update as I can.

I'm glad to be busy, but it means the interesting stuff suffers. Sorry everyone who's waiting!

Just a quick update - this project (and thus my daily driver) has languished in the corner of the shop while more important (READ: Paying) jobs have totally overwhelmed me. I will get back to it, and update as I can.

I'm glad to be busy, but it means the interesting stuff suffers. Sorry everyone who's waiting!

I'm moving to Portland at the end of the month... let me know if you want a paying customer's car to do this to. ;)

The catch is that I can't do the 6MT swap unless I can get someone to buy my WRX sans the 6MT it would be donating to my OBXT. :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Wanted to give those interested a quick update - the car is up and functional. Everything suspension-wise works flawlessly.

I have run into some road-blocks with the ABS computer, and its integration into the ECU and CANbus. I have just ordered a VSSpro to facilitate getting a working speedo signal back, and I will work through the rest of the issues once that is going.

After that, I need to do some minor tuning for the change in exhaust that came along with the six-speed swap, and then I can really try it out. It will be at least a few more weeks before I can find time to get the VSSpro installed and see what other surprises the computer has for me.

I have also become a dealer for all DCCDpro devices, due to my positive impression with the company and their products while looking for a solution to this speedometer signal issue. If any of you need a DCCD controller, a way to create a speed signal output from the ABS wheel sensors (on any car, not just Subaru), or an advanced fuel pump controller for your high performance Subaru, Mitsubishi, or Nissan (or, most likely, many others) just let me know!

bumping this cause I'm still interested.

• 2 months later...
I've been curious just about the fronts. Consensus was the +08 STi front knuckles would bolt-up(assuming you also used STi struts), but I came across an ad for them on NASIOC and they guy said they wouldn't work on LGT(he said he tried, never said what the problem was).

• 6 months later...

Has anybody actually tried having a machine shop re-drill their hubs to 5x114.3? I feel that it would be the easiest and most cost effective way to convert.

My LGT is now front wheel drive (yes, you read that correctly) and I was thinking about doing a 5x114.3 conversion since I need the front wheel bearings replaced anyway. I was just going to get Timkens and have them re-drilled and filled along with the rears.

I'll call my machine shop in the morning. I feel like it shouldn't cost that much considering that it doesn't cost that much to have wheels re-drilled and filled. At least the hubs would theoretically be simpler to machine and you don't have to worry about being the test rat for a frankenstein setup involving different knuckles and axle ends.

P.S.- Sorry about the thread bump. I just wanted to see if it's already been done or if somebody has figured out a bolt and go setup before I purchase new 5x100 Timkens to have re-drilled.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive this 3yr old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone figured this out? Looking at wheel options and replacing on my 08 SpecB and I'm really considering doing this. Are the Megan racing brz hubs anywhere close to helping on this issue? I've read a little about the cts brake conversion too. I am willing to do modification to the knuckles too if that's something that is an option.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The front conversion is easy, just get an 08 sti front knuckle and bolt up.

The rear is harder due to the trailing arm. If you have the skills to build the arm you could drill for the sti hub.

Skf never made a LGT bearing or sti either. LIC racing made a conversion, but they do not appear to be making them anymore. Give them call and offer money, they might make a set for you.

Timken makes bearing for both. It's been determined the outer diameter is the same so in theory you could split the hub and press in the sti inner and have it working.

If you solve it, any number of ppl will be interested. Of course if your price is more than $10 over the timken you won't sell a thing :(

The front conversion is easy, just get an 08 sti front knuckle and bolt up.

The rear is harder due to the trailing arm. If you have the skills to build the arm you could drill for the sti hub.

Skf never made a LGT bearing or sti either. LIC racing made a conversion, but they do not appear to be making them anymore. Give them call and offer money, they might make a set for you.

Timken makes bearing for both. It's been determined the outer diameter is the same so in theory you could split the hub and press in the sti inner and have it working.

If you solve it, any number of ppl will be interested. Of course if your price is more than $10 over the timken you won't sell a thing :(

Thanks for the info. I did already email LIC before reading this and they said the following to my question regarding the knuckles they do have listed for older wrx:

Me:

Hello,

I was noticing your aftermarket knuckles for 5x100 to 5x114.3 conversion. I have a 2008 Legacy GT Spec B and was looking at this conversion process to open up wheel options and for the overall better wheel bearings. I haven't thoroughly researched it but I was wondering if you have fielded this question before and what the consensus is? I appreciate any insight you can shed on the issue.

Thanks,

Them:

Thanks for contacting LIC Motorsports.

Unfortunately LGT/OBXT have their own components and as such these parts don’t carry over to them.

Thanks,

Noah Levy

______

So I'm gathering he would've mentioned it if they still made it.

I currently have my suspension and subframes off the car so it would be easy to do right now. I did just get new whiteline bushings pressed into the aluminum trailing arms though so if I can get those to work for my solution I'd prefer using them.

I'd also prefer NSK bearing wise if I can find them. I have heard of the rare occurrence Timken or Moog manufacturing in countries with bad QC so it really being a toss up if you get a good or bad bearing or hub based on that.

The other challenge I heard in this thread specifically was the abs sensor and something to do with it being used in the speedo. Maybe something that can be handled ecu side though?

Thanks

Edited by SpecDubC

I got partway through this conversion before house renovations got in the way.

- The ABS tone rings on the STI are a different diameter, but have the same number of magnet polarization thingies. As long as the pickup sensor can be mounted on the rear, (Front sensor on 2015+ Sti, and probably 08+ is the same as the LGT) the speedo and ABS systems should all be ok.

- The rear is the tricky part. I was on the path of making up adapters with a custom-machined bearing adapter block (different than freerangeracing's), plus 08+ sti e-brake and backing plates. The stock trailing arms have to be modified to mount the sensors, but in theory everything should bolt up ok. There is a good bit of difference in track width between the STI and LGT, and rear STI axles make up the difference in width.

The posts from the guy in Quebec is sparse on information, and the all-important photos are long gone. It's all in this thread - check out posts by Antho303T

I have a 2008 sti rear subframe as well as a 2008 LGT rear subframe. When you put them side by side, the challenge becomes somewhat funny. Then again standing there looking at them, swapping the entire rear subframe would solve innumerable problems (ability to run massive tire widths being primary). Lol

I'm still dabbling with making a rear trailing arm that mounts the sti hub, however, my fab skills aren't to a level where I want to bet on my skills.

There's a local (to me) Subaru fab shop, tssfab, who makes custom subframes. I called them to ask how much $. Lol. Click.

I have a 2008 sti rear subframe as well as a 2008 LGT rear subframe. When you put them side by side, the challenge becomes somewhat funny. Then again standing there looking at them, swapping the entire rear subframe would solve innumerable problems (ability to run massive tire widths being primary). Lol

I'm still dabbling with making a rear trailing arm that mounts the sti hub, however, my fab skills aren't to a level where I want to bet on my skills.

There's a local (to me) Subaru fab shop, tssfab, who makes custom subframes. I called them to ask how much $. Lol. Click.

That's awesome. I was wondering about that because I'm literally about to paint that rear subframe. Would've replaced it if there was something off the shelf custom. Would you have to swap to sti arms as well? I just got the whiteline kta124 adjustable arms set too. So I'm guessing with the spec B R180 rear diff its the same for axles on the inner side just the outer where you need the longer axle with larger STI hub bore to mate up. So I see how the custom trailing arm and then modifying there with the sti knuckle makes sense.

It has, by a member in Canada but is not an easy mod.

Yes, I've made it in 2011.

Front is the easy part. You need a custom made coilover with the STI lower bracket in it.

For the rear, we machined the trailing arm to put the bigger STI bearing.

The bolt partern is also not the same.

You need to mod the handbrake cable braket to use the Legacy cable with the STI backing plate.

I've posted couple pictures but it looks like they are no longer available. I can check if I still have them but I really don't know if I've kept them.