Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I started with a Xenarc that wasn't "sunlight readable" (IIRC, the technical term is transflective?) and it worked well enough most of the time. But it did wash out in bright sun.

But eventually I broke it while removing the cubbyhole/bezel. So I upgraded... I now have a "sunlight readable" display from MoCoSo and it is definitely much, much better. Never any issues with it under any light conditions. But at $400 it did cost twice as much as the old display, or maybe more than twice. But then again I haven't looked at pricing in years so I don't know what the premium is now.

• 1 month later...
Check out the tablet carputer thread, I installed a Nexus 7 and it looks and works great in the nav bezel. Total cost 250 bucks for a 720p, 7" BRIGHT display, quad core tegra, and capacitive touch screen. Tethers to my 4G phone, and OBDII sensor too.

• 5 months later...
Check out the tablet carputer thread, I installed a Nexus 7 and it looks and works great in the nav bezel. Total cost 250 bucks for a 720p, 7" BRIGHT display, quad core tegra, and capacitive touch screen. Tethers to my 4G phone, and OBDII sensor too.

I have a Nexus 7 and I really like it so when I first saw this install I really wanted to do it. But then the more I thought about it, the more I started to feel like the amount of extra work needed really wasn't worth it. Given all the possibilities for the OEM Nav input, I only really see two advantages - 1) obviously the much better looking/higher resolution screen and 2) native android touchscreen interface. But besides better navigation, anything else that android offers (video, music, games, apps, etc.) are things that you wouldn't (or at least definitely shouldn't) use while driving, so then why not just use the tab normally if you're stopped somewhere in your car and want to do something like that? Plus that way you're ~$200 tab isn't confined in your car and you can use it normally. Anyway, just my thoughts on that...

I recently decided that I wanted to do a rearview cam install and after readying a lot of these threads I figured that I might as well run another video out cable while I have everything apart so I could easily add some type of carputer. After looking at all the options, I'm planning to use a friend's old Droid X which is fortunate enough to be one of the few phones made around then to have native hdmi out to connect to the navi screen.

Since I only really want it for the app Torque, I'm planning to just mount it somewhere in my glovebox, hardwire the power, and then use tasker and have it turn on bluetooth/GPS, duplicate the screen, and then launch straight in to the torque dashboard (I think that's what they called it). Once it loses power I'll have it turn everything back off to save battery. I think if I run a lean ROM with a conservative kernel and strip out all the apps, including system, besides the few I need and charging it every time I'm driving should keep the battery from dying completely.

Down the road I may look at adding some type of remote control so I can use it for music as well - I don't think it would be too much more work to run audio to the aux-in. Does anyone know if it's possible to have multiple Bluetooth devices connected at once (for a remote)? Since the USB port is already dedicated to power, I think bluetooth is really the only other option.

I have a Nexus 7 and I really like it so when I first saw this install I really wanted to do it. But then the more I thought about it, the more I started to feel like the amount of extra work needed really wasn't worth it. Given all the possibilities for the OEM Nav input, I only really see two advantages - 1) obviously the much better looking/higher resolution screen and 2) native android touchscreen interface. But besides better navigation, anything else that android offers (video, music, games, apps, etc.) are things that you wouldn't (or at least definitely shouldn't) use while driving, so then why not just use the tab normally if you're stopped somewhere in your car and want to do something like that? Plus that way you're ~$200 tab isn't confined in your car and you can use it normally. Anyway, just my thoughts on that...

Completely understandable - but my solution was more long-term than anything else. I may have been able to suffer through the atrocious navigation system a while longer, but it was simply too dated to be of use to me. I wanted an integrated system which aggregates my podcasts, navigation with voice directions AND voice input, along with other fun like spotify or other services. I'm about eight months into my permanent install and it's working like a charm. I wouldn't have it any other way at this point!

Hmm, voice input... That's a really good idea, would be really nice if I could somehow make that work, but it doesn't seem possible since I really want to keep the phone I'm using for input hidden somewhere. That's really the last thing I'm trying to figure out is some way to control it - a simple joystick type input is all I need to switch through a couple apps. Probably just Torque and Music, can't really think of anything else too useful that I can use while driving.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for reviving this again, but I just ordered a Raspberry Pi and was wondering if the OEM screen touch controls would work on it or would I need to get an aftermarket screen?

Looking forward to doing something fun with my car again :)

Disappointing, I mean it's just a screen there has to be video input somewhere and the touch control I'm sure isn't built in...

Bingo! It's a Kenwood system, screen and DVD drive under the seat, now just need to dig in a little more to find the model number..

Edited by spt legacy

Sorry for reviving this again, but I just ordered a Raspberry Pi and was wondering if the OEM screen touch controls would work on it or would I need to get an aftermarket screen?

Looking forward to doing something fun with my car again :)

I am about 60% sure it can be done - the touch panel on the Subaru Kenwood systems is a 4-wire resistive touch panel, I have read that can one can rewire the leads off the touch film to a simple USB controller - my only concern would be driver support.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-wire-Resistive-LCD-touch-screen-panel-USB-port-controller-touch-panel-driver-/180836520468

Also - the OEM kenwood screen has a composite input. If you find that yours does not - I have the OEM Kenwood screen assembly from my 08 Legacy that I'd sell on the cheap.

Edited by Crazy Goat

This seems workable when you put it that way, that ebay part comes with a driver that supports LINUX Windows CE XP and Win7. This seems very viable imo, for 12 bucks and an rca cable its worth a shot. I think this is more like 90% sure it can be done.

I think crazy goat has the right idea. If your existing navi has a touchscreen, then using that 10 dollar ebay part will allow you to send inputs to the RPi from the oem screen, which is your ideal situation.

Did you see this info Crazy Goat

http://www.vslcd.com/Specification/VS-040TPUSB.pdf

"Hantouch launched touch control board to meet latest

Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive. This

touch panel controller provides the optimistic performance of

your analog resistive touch panels for 4-wire models. It

communicates with PC system directly through USB connector.

You can see how superior the design is in sensitivity 、accuracy

and friendly operation. The touch panel driver emulates mouse

left and right button function and supports operation systems as

following. "

Edited by Tehnation

That's true but he also said it might be trouble finding Linux drivers for that digitizer.

Either option is better than getting a whole new touchscreen though :)

Then again, the digitizer I was looking at has the same USB controller that crazy goat linked...

Edited by spt legacy

Mandrake (Mandrake 9.1/9.2/10,

Mandriva 2005, Mandriva 2006),

Red Hat (7.3/8.0/9.0),

Fedora (Core I/II/III/IV/V/VI),

Yellow Dog (3.X) ,

SuSE (9.2/9.3/10/10.1),

Ubuntu (5.1/6.06),

Debian (3.1, Kernel 2.4.x/2.6.x)

It has drivers for Linux.

• 8 months later...

How would I make a car PC using a cell phone and a Small display?

I mostly want it for when I am traveling and sleeping in the back of my wagon in the summer. You know like I can have the display mounted above the dash and then disconnect it and move it to the cargo hatch of the car. I was thinking I can power my phone the way i do now off the DC outlet and then the monitor off the other DC outlet or with a inverter. I can run a micro HDMI cable from my phones loc to my monitors loc and then I just need a hookup for a keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard. Maybe the monitor should be touchscreen as well?

anybody done anything like this? seems like it might be easier and cell phones are getting pretty powerful nowadays.

My droid 4's specs are thus

TI OMAP4430

Processor:Dual core, 1200 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9

Graphics processor:PowerVR SGX540 @ 304 MHz

System memory:1024 MB RAM / 16384 MB ROM

Built-in storage:8 Gb

Storage expansion:microSD, microSDHC up to 32 GB

Battery

Talk time:12.50 hours

the average is 12 h (746 min)

Stand-by time:8.5 days (204 hours

the average is 21 days (494 h)

Capacity:1785 mAh

Edited by 2-Ton

How would I make a car PC using a cell phone and a Small display?

I mostly want it for when I am traveling and sleeping in the back of my wagon in the summer. You know like I can have the display mounted above the dash and then disconnect it and move it to the cargo hatch of the car. I was thinking I can power my phone the way i do now off the DC outlet and then the monitor off the other DC outlet or with a inverter. I can run a micro HDMI cable from my phones loc to my monitors loc and then I just need a hookup for a keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard. Maybe the monitor should be touchscreen as well?

anybody done anything like this? seems like it might be easier and cell phones are getting pretty powerful nowadays.

My droid 4's specs are thus

TI OMAP4430

Processor:Dual core, 1200 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9

Graphics processor:PowerVR SGX540 @ 304 MHz

System memory:1024 MB RAM / 16384 MB ROM

Built-in storage:8 Gb

Storage expansion:microSD, microSDHC up to 32 GB

Battery

Talk time:12.50 hours

the average is 12 h (746 min)

Stand-by time:8.5 days (204 hours

the average is 21 days (494 h)

Capacity:1785 mAh

I don't think you would have much luck controlling a phones touch screen via your monitor. Honestly, based on what you want your best two options would either be a tablet or a monitor and chrome cast or something similar. You can get a second Gen nexus now for like 150 refurbished.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I don't think you would have much luck controlling a phones touch screen via your monitor. Honestly, based on what you want your best two options would either be a tablet or a monitor and chrome cast or something similar. You can get a second Gen nexus now for like 150 refurbished.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yeah it will be a hard fight to find the right monitor that supports android and has the other features I want. IE prob gps,mic, maybe a internal battery and thin and with a good bright anti glare display.

there are captive touch and multitouch small monitors on the market but which ones support android is the real question. Im gonna have to post on teh xpda forums and see if i can scrounge up some help.

But If i can find a good high res monitor that supports it that I can mount and wire into my car and then just link my phone into while I am driving that would be insanely awsome, esp if I can combine it with the ODBlink MX, would be the ultimate plug and play car package.

• 10 months later...

Im gonna have a go at this. I own a MY08 GT-B with the (i think) Kenwood screen, DVD unit (for GPS only) in the glove compartment and factory AMP underneath front passenger seat. Basically, Im pretty sure the back of my screen has the yellow composite input and the 4-pin socket (white) that people are using to hook up the reverse camera.

I have purchased the 4-wire resistive touch controller as mentioned by Crazy Goat and i have a spare Raspberry Pi B+ to test with.

My only concerns are making irreversible changes to the stock setup. For now, that only appears to be when i need to solder the controller wires to the touch screen, i.e. i don't really want to cut the tracks on the circuit board.

Also, does anyone know if the touch screen itself works while screen is showing the video feed from the composite input?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so far so good. I can connect my RPi to the screen using the composite output of the RPi but the resolution is rubbish. I want to set the resolution in the config file of the Pi but i don't know what the Kenwood screen resolution is. Does anyone know??

In regards to the touchscreen, i have found a whole bunch of tutorials on the internet that i will try. They also appear to use the kernel drivers for "eGalax Touch Screen Controller" which I believe is required for those USB Touch Screen controller thingies.