LegacyGT.com

Roof rack thread for Fourth Generation Legacy Sedan.

winter mode

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_7844.JPG

summer mode

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_7135.JPG

Mine is a Yakima. Fat Cat 6 for boards and ski's, Raptors for bikes. And I have a custom dry CF fairing.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea mine are 48" and They are at just about the very end of the bars.

I got mine for free, if I were buying a rack I would get 50" bars.

i like the look, though...too many people have the bars sticking way out beyond the rooflines. it's pretty much unusable bar space, anyways.

is it more a fitment issue? in that case, i guess an extra inch on either side wouldn't be that bad. all the used racks i'm seeing are either 48" or huge...i could buy cheap Q's, and buy new bars, though :rolleyes:

sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes...well, he eats you

• 4 months later...
Im looking to buy a Thule roof rack but i'm not sure how to go about it. We dont have rails, so what do i do?

You have to buy the "Q Towers" that clamp onto the roof. Most stores that sell the roof racks should be able to set you up with everything you'll need... Probably even show you how to put them on.

Will Yakima racks (clipped and towered) hold a 35 lb ladder on the road? Does it hold kayaks or anything comparable to the ladder weight?

Just called the stealership and they said they do not make roof racks for the legacy sedan.

Will Yakima racks (clipped and towered) hold a 35 lb ladder on the road? Does it hold kayaks or anything comparable to the ladder weight?

Just called the stealership and they said they do not make roof racks for the legacy sedan.

http://infolookup.yakima.com/default.aspx

Vehicle: SUBARU Legacy 4dr

Year Range: 2005-2009

Fit Type: Top

Factory Rack: Naked Roof

Weight Limit: 165 lbs

Tower: Q Towers

Crossbar Length: 48" CrossBars

Recommended Fairing: 44" Fairing

Front Clips: Q78-A

Rear Clips: Q78-A

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150230509200492&set=a.14222390491.70097.881690491#%21/photo.php?fbid=10150230510440492&set=a.14222390491.70097.881690491&pid=14353789&id=881690491

my 06 with a thule on it....

btw, does anyone have a pic with their (BL) sedan with a thule MOAB basket? im possibly getting one and would like to see it in action...

There's not really a "cheap route" unless you can find a steal for a used rack setup. I got mine used from a member here for $275 (with some other goodies thrown in) and picked up the fresh sesh 4 board/6 ski mount for $110 brand new. I also picked up some SKS cores for like $50 brand new.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/flat4LGT/Leggy/DSC01010.jpg

It's cool; I'm with the band

My 07 came with a full Thule setup in the trunk... I just haven't had any use to put it back on yet. I will most likely use the wife's Impreza Sport if we ever plan on roof mounting anything since her's already has the factory roof rack. Unless of course we want to take the car with the warm seats somewhere... lol

Well yesterday I was lucky and found a full Yakima kit for $100 on Kijiji that came off the same car.

Question, do the clips go under the rubber striping or does it just go into the window like normal? I test fitted them yesterday but it seems all sloppy on there. I must be doing something wrong. umm

• 1 month later...

^ those things are all searchable btw. There are tons of threads on roof rack issues had by people.

Pinter, the clips clip onto the rubber weather seal. I'm not sure what you mean by into the windows like normal?

Tagley, roof rack noise is very iffy. Anything can cause it to the rack being place on wrong to a simple thing sticking out. I've had my rack for a season and wind noise for me is very minimal. With the sunroof cover closed and a shorter 38" fairing, I've had almost zero noise. As for mileage, I drive a 2.5i, and my mileage dropped from normal 19/20 city to 16/17 city and 26 all highway to about 24. So a solid drop of 2 mpg I can estimate.

yeah, they make noise...i don't have a fairing (found they got in the way of attachments). usually starts up around 40 mph (again w/o fairing). lost about 3 mpg w/no attachments, little more w/them.

good tradeoff, though, if you need the trunk/cabin space

sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes...well, he eats you

• 5 months later...

Heres my Yakima set-up with the ski rack and two bike trays. Its an older pic. The car looks different now but the rack hasn't changed in a while. It moves back and forth from my car to my fiances car. She has an outback so there are just some places we go where her car is the better choice I think.

249407_10150204009146179_500051178_7551532_8244271_n.jpg

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

I went with a wispbar rack. Super quiet and doesn't require a fairing. You can actually open the sun root without being deafened. Not cheap though...

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~rchertov/legacy2.jpg