LegacyGT.com

Clutch / Transmission issue. Bad noises...

EDIT: 9/16/14. New issues with the tranny...see my latest post on page 2.

Okay, so we have about 105K on our 06 LGT. Last Tuesday we had the timing belt and water pump done as well as an oil change and I think the serp. belt too. (at the dealer--I know I'm probably wasting money). Tonight I think something terrible happened to the clutch / transmission.

sorry for the book:

My girlfriend primarily drives the car. She picked it up from the dealer a few days ago and told me it sounded like it was making a high pitch squeaking sound when releasing the clutch after making a shift. The dealer was closed so we were going to call in the morning but by the next day the sound had disappeared and it was shifting as normal and smooth as ever. I am far from a mechanic, but I rationalized that maybe it was just the new belts settling in that caused the squealing sound and didn't think anything of it.

She drove the car for a couple hundred miles after that without issue but tonight I got a frantic call that the car wasn't shifting right, stalled and was making a terrible sound. She said that the first thing she noticed was that while in traffic tonight going from 4th to 3rd, the clutch pedal "bucked / bounced" a little while she was releasing it and made a noise (she can't describe it, but it was different than the squeaking earlier in the week), but shifted normally. She continued to drive the last few miles and that continued to happen whenever she would push in the clutch. When she got to the parking lot, she stopped and when shifting into first it seemed worse. Then when she went to shift into reverse it seemed even worse, but still shifted and drove in reverse.

She's a little fuzzy after this, because she was panicking, nervous and emotional as she was in the middle of an intersection in the parking lot and trying to get out of the way. She said she thinks is started making a noise at this point starting when pushing in the clutch (not when idling in neutral). She shifted into first and started to pull forward again but it made "bad noises" and then stalled. She started it back up but it made "terrible" noises (like "grinding and clunking"). She immediately put it in neutral and shut it off....then called me.

Throughout it all she said the shift lever felt fine and it was easy to move in and out of gears, just the clutch pedal acting strange and then causing the noises. I got to the car but didn't want to try to start out of fear of doing more damage. The clutch pedal feels stiff as it gets close to bottoming out and doesn't have very much spring back.

Clutch felt fine and never slipped or gave any sign of wear. We are very easy on the car, my girlfriend (drives like my grandmother) puts 90% of the miles on it. I always assumed a clutch was something that would wear out and slip / fail over time. But I have no real experience and not much of a wrench.

Any ideas?

Possible this is something that could have been caused by the service we just had done?

I checked the oil level and it was normal. The coolant level was a few inches under the 'low/fill' line. I asked if the temp gauge was high or if any warning lights came on but she says she didn't notice but admits to being panicky at the end.

Mine made whinning noise. The throwout bearing went out. Then it got started a few times at a shop. Made same grinding noise. End up replacing the trans case ($1100) hook up price. Something to do with breaking something that the throwout bearing was retained by or something i forget. I would take it to a clutch shop asap. That trans isint cheap

Yep.

Sounds like the TOB at least is toast.

You'll need a TSK3 TOB kit, while the tranny is out replace the clutch and dual mass flywheel.

Have the tranny filled with 3 qts Redline lightweight shockproof and 1qt Mutol 300.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Okay I did some searching. Sounds like the squeaking earlier in the week was the throw out bearing going, and last night was it actually breaking?

What am I in for in terms of repairs? Is the whole transmission toast? Just the bearing and the clutch?

We've had all our work done at the dealer (again, I know a waste of money) but that's what we've been comfortable doing. Any idea what it will cost?

If the TOB didn't do to much damage to the snot or quail on the tranny you in luck.

Hopefully less then 1500 with labor.

Single mass flywheel, clutch kit, TSK3 TOB kit, fluid, labor. They'll use Subaru Extra-S for the fluid, it's good stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Okay I think it is worse than the worst case scenario...

Here are the pictures I received from the mechanic.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/5094c5f8.jpg

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/39e80ac5.jpg

Mechanic is looking into getting a used transmission and is working on a quote for me.

...should have bought a civic. I can't afford this.

Dealer gave me an estimate of $3K using new OEM parts to fix it. He said his used parts guy is gone for the night but in the morning he will see if he can scrounge a used trans cheap enough to justify using that over new.

Anybody have experience with this?

Should I be getting another quote? If it will only save me a couple hundred bucks I'm not worried about it, but if we are talking $1K or something I might consider getting it hauled somewhere else. Dealer is also offering a loaner car and that sweetens the deal since we really can't be without a car.

The dealer had a machine shop make a new snot for the 5mt in my 00GT when it's snot broke and the total job job was only $1100.

Good Luck

TSK3 might fix that.

No lie.

Let me investigate...

$3k should get you a brand new trans. It is around that much.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-toast-05-lgt-wagon-5-speed-166821p3.html

Scroll to post #34

so $155 or so later, you have a working trans again. Be sure to get a single mass FW (OEM LGT 07+/WRX 06+) and an OEM LGT 07+ clutch if you never plan on modifying the car over stock.

I may be wrong (entirely possible), but it looks to me like for the TSK3 to work there still needs to be enough of the original snout left for the sleeve to fit on to. Is that right?

EDIT - I read further and it seems there just needs to be enough for the butt end to fit on to?

Does anybody know how to contact "Joel at Tranquil, the maker of the TSK3 snout repair kit"?

What does the kit repair job involve? Think it something a dealer would be willing to do?

I'll do some more forum digging...

The TSK3 is a sleeve that slides over the old snout and is held in place with 2 set screws. It's a 5 minute install if done right.

Any idea how to contact the manufacturer? I've seen mention a few times of people on this forum saying "Joel confirmed it will work.." or something similar.

Is this the manufacturer or just a vendor? (vender?)

http://pdmusa1.com/contact-us.aspx

Joel from Tranquil confirmed that PDM is in fact the manufacturer. He's been quick to respond and is being very helpful, sounds like a great product/company.

He can't confirm if there is enough material left (diameter) for the sleeve to work and needs to see more pictures of it cleaned up to confirm.

I'm going to call around tomorrow and see where I end up.

Thanks for all the help and the comments everybody, I really appreciate it.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring this back, but what was the final solution 4Rings6Stars?

I had the front part of my transmission case replaced because this exact same thing happened to me. I had a shop replace the front of my transmission case and ever since, there has been a grinding/whirring sound on deceleration.

Sorry to bring this back, but what was the final solution 4Rings6Stars?

I had the front part of my transmission case replaced because this exact same thing happened to me. I had a shop replace the front of my transmission case and ever since, there has been a grinding/whirring sound on deceleration.

Had the clutch and case replaced with new at the dealer. I had other plans but ultimately we just needed the car back on the road an it was already town apart at the dealer so I told them to just do go ahead and do it.

It's been smooth sailing ever since...10k miles later

• 1 year later...

Sigh...something is up with the transmission again.

Noticed this week the car was making a noise that got louder the faster it's moving but didn't change when in neutral vs accelerating or revving the engine. Seems related to speed only. I first feared turbo...but it fluctuating with speed and not RPMs made me think something like a wheel bearing or differential. It's not a grinding or clunking...just a constant hum / wind sound (hence why I thought turbo).

I brought it to a local shop (not a subaru specific place because I was in a pinch) and I just called to see if they figured it out.

The guy said "it's definitely coming from the transmission. Something isn't right in there". I asked if he had any more info or better guess and he said "definitely the transmission, probably need a new one". And he couldn't offer any more help than that. I said I am going to call Subaru and see if there is anything they will do...

Sigh.

Any idea what this might be? The car drives/shifts perfectly fine...except for the noise.

I had the clutch and case replaced two years ago almost do the date.]

Further research has me wondering if it's a bearing in the center diff...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-some-help-identifing-noise-video-118933p3.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/do-you-have-trans-problems-failure-54215p3.html

Sigh again...

Archived