LegacyGT.com

Tranny snapped, thoughts?

highlander

My car had an intermittent symptom of squealing when starting after it sat outside in the cold. No noises once started though.

Tranny has occasionally had a rough 1-2 shift, but nothing severe, since new.

Yesterday, while driving in conservative fashion in 3rd gear (less than 3kRPM in gears) there was a loud mechanical snap followed by a terrible squeal, then loss of forward acceleration. :eek:

Car towed.

Still starts and runs fine.

Will drive in 1st gear (<5MPH) in dealer parking lot so clutch should be ok.

Dealer tearing it down today.

Thoughts on what they will find?

Guessing a shaft snapped or a key on a gear.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

And now I get to wait it out, as the ONLY transmission guy is now out with his wife in labor with their first child. God bless them, but it's just my luck.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

My car had an intermittent symptom of squealing when starting after it sat outside in the cold. No noises once started though.

That part sounds like it's just a slightly loose belt; probably unrelated to the other failure. I had that same squeal for a few weeks after I had a belt replaced and it went away after I tightened it up.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Well the trouble has been identified. In November, they replaced a howling bearing in the tail section/rear of the transmission.

That bearing has 'exploded' and sent shrapnel into the rest of the tranny.

Gears, synchros, and forks all fine.

Fluid is getting changed, parts getting washed and inspected, bearings replaced, races replaced.

May still take a while as the the tech did just have a kid, but at least I know and it's warranty.

Life is good.

Archived