LegacyGT.com

HELP 08 LGT front bearing hub stuck half off!

Hi,

I had to change my right front bearing hub on my '08, and the old one would not come out, and yes I had removed the four bolts and the axle nut.

I wacked it repeatedly to no avail, and then put a slide hammer puller on it but that only began to separate the the front half of the hub from the mounting flange portion.

I also tried the type of puller that uses a long bolt to press against the center of the axle, but I was afraid to put too much pressure and damage the CV joint, and again it was pulling the front of the hub from the mounting flange part.

I now can't even get the axle to come all the way back through the front of the hub to get the wheel back on and roll it out of the garage on to a tow truck, something is blocking in the hub, maybe loose bearings?

I can slide the axle in and out, but it wont come all the way out to get the nut fully on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really stuck here...

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Take a picture. Doesn't sound like you have completed your disassembly process.

Sure no problem. but there are just the four bolts and the axle nut right?

Unless I have completely missed something, rust is what is holding it on to the knuckle, how to get it off?

In this pics the bolts are back in, but the four had been out.

1073555011_Alignment006.thumb.jpg.755cac9c021a2d71f29aec1636d2802e.jpg

In this pic you can see the front half of the hub is separating from the rear flange area.

18232391_Alignment009.thumb.jpg.413a8c707e5c41b776b04307856f45b4.jpg

And lastly, this is as far as I can now get the axle to pull back out through the front of the hub, can't get the nut fully on anymore.

479143214_Alignment010.thumb.jpg.ab00ff1557b68ab5b33e397e8eb0bbde.jpg

Thanks,

Paul

Part 1: Soak it with BP Blaster for 1/2hr. Take hammer & chisel, start working it between the WB hub & steering knuckle. Once you started to separate the two. Spray more BP Blaster & keep working all the way around the hub until you have it removed.

Part 2: If you can't get it remove by part 1. Use a oxy acetylene torch to heat the hub up. Then after you cool the hub back down (water). Repeat part 1.

Caution, make sure speed sensor is out of the steering knuckle & anything you don't want to go up in flame. Removed or protected from the flames & heat.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Thanks Mike. been using a BFH and chisel with Gibbs penetrant to no avail...

Unfortunately no acetylene, just propane, doubt if it would help...

And yup, had removed the sensor before started trying to persuade it.

Problem is now I can't even get the wheel back on to get it out of the garage and over to a garage that would have a torch.

I'll try again in the morning...

Cheers,

Paul

PS. Did I scrap the CV joint by trying to press the housing out against the axle end?

FYI if you do remove the steering knuckle assy. Remove the lower ball joint nut at the bottom of the lower control arm. Do not remove it by the pinch bolt. It's notorious for snapping in two. If this happens, you will have to drill it out & put a bolt & nut in it's place.

Mike

Let the PB Blaster do it work.

This is a easy job once the PB Blaster does it's job. Give it time.

I had a big rust lip on my left rear, but once the PB did its job the hub came off. I also used a slide hammer and the hub began to split. I think Mike warned us of that when he did his.

It's just rust holding it on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, followed Mike's recommendation and dove into it again this morning after letting it soak all night in penetrating oil...

Used a chisel repeatedly around the edges with the BFH, but damned if I could break that thing loose! :spin:

Must have helped though, but what finally did it was alternating from side to side holding a small sledge against the side of the bolt flanges at the top, and then wacking that with a full sized sledge to get it to break free and turn in the bore.

The base finally did break loose and rotated a bit, then the rest was easy with the chisel phew!

Warning; hitting the face of a hammer with another hammer is never a good idea because of the risk of flying shards, but I was wearing good safety glasses and heavy gloves, desperation...

Car now runs smooth and quiet, thanks again to Mike and everyone else for your help, hard to believe it had seized like that after only four winters!:eek:

Cheers,

Paul

209529229_Alignment015.thumb.jpg.c72228b95a21430d7aaa36de89125c75.jpg

Glad you got it done. By any chance did you coat all mating surfaces with a lite coat of anti-seize. It make the next time so much easier. I'm on my 4th in the front & 3rd in the rear.

Sorry I forgot to state that earlier.

Mike

By any chance did you coat all mating surfaces with a lite coat of anti-seize.

Mike

Damn, now you tell me Mike! You mean I'll have to tear it all down again and do it over! :spin:

Just joking bud, yup I put anti-seize.

Why have you burned through so many bearings? Are you running funky wheel offsets or acute camber angles? Or maybe from towing?

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

PS. I'll be driving it down your way on Monday, I turn left at Binghamton to get to Sidney.

OEM's only avg. about 50k. So I switch to SKF wheel bearing from NAPA. They seem to be holding up better then OEM. We'll see how they work out over the long haul.

The car see the drag strip, twisties & towing duties (see post 5&6 in link below).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/much-have-you-towed-your-legacy-144604.html.

• 3 years later...

Quick 2016 addition here for anyone with this problem in the future...I had the exact same issue with the front right bearing hub on my 09 LGT (seized hub that started to separate with a slide hammer). I tried most techniques you read about online; PB blaster, BFH, chisel, slide hammer, using the steering linkage as a press. None of those worked for me.

What released the hub for me was using an air hammer on the bolts partially threaded into the hub from backside. Took about 10 seconds to start to move outward @ 85 psi. Pretty easy it turns out.

This was a huge PITA until I bought an air hammer. Hope this helps.

...What released the hub for me was using an air hammer on the bolts partially threaded into the hub from backside. Took about 10 seconds to start to move outward @ 85 psi. Pretty easy it turns out.

This was a huge PITA until I bought an air hammer. Hope this helps.

Good tip! I think I will get an air hammer for my tool collection. Harbor Freight has one for only $11 that gets some good reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-impact-hammer-kit-92037.html

• 7 months later...

I had the same issue on both sides of the front ('09, car lived most its life in New York). The bearing hub assemblies were so frozen on with rust that in addition to pb blast I had to repeatedly heat and cool the things with MAPP and water.

Also had to replace both front knuckles because of the pinch bolt. Turned a couple reasonable jobs into a couple of really big multi-day, PITA, messy, jobs.

Glad you were able to take care of it. Sounds like you're mechanically pretty competent.

Archived