LegacyGT.com

Whining noise with speed, not RPM or gear

Brian3676

Just bought a 2006 LGT. 5 speed. 81K miles. It had a whining noise, more notable at higher speeds 50+ but seems to be getting more noticeable now at 40+ MPH. Changed the tranny oil with Redline 75-90NS. It was fairly clean and nothing really on the magnate. Also changed out the rear diff fluid with regular Redline 75-90. Im thinking the center diff bearing or input shaft bearing.... faster I go the higher and faster the whining is. Let me know if you have any advice!

- The engine RPM has zero effect on the noise

- What gear has no effect on the noise

- Clutch in or out has no effect.

I guess its to late now, hope it's not the tranny that's making the noise.

When it's back together, have the GF drive the car while you ride in the back seat and listen for noises. You can hear things different from back there.

What you put in the tranny is not one of the recommended fluids.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gear-oil-rear-diff-oil-212885.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I left the tranny in the car anyway. If it is the rear diff bearings all I have to do is pull the rear tranny cover. Ill get it back and running and figure it out. I got the Redline from the Subaru dealer, they said its what they recomend using. Ill try the Extra S as soon as I get the motor back in and varify weather its the tranny or wheel bearing.

Sounds like you have a wheel bearing going at the back . Jack the whole car up and put on stands front and back . Run the car up to speed and you'll hear which one it is . You may hear rumbling from both but the sound transfers from one side to the other . The louder one will be the faulty one .

• 2 weeks later...
well I finished re building my motor last week. Now focused on the whining sound. Replaced my center diff bearings and noise went away! What's weird is the bearings all looked good. But sound is gone so that was defiantly it. Cost me $137 in parts at the subie dealer and $129 press from harbor freight.

Archived